Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tile setting out advice required please in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
I'm about to start tile my bathroom project. Tiles are 600 x 300 porcelain to be laid 'landscape' and in vertical columns (NOT brick bond). There is a also a narrow band of marble mosaic that will be about 2/3 of the way up the wall.

I've spent a few hours today assessing the setting out. I've settled on having my horizontal tile centreline for the end wall (with the shower) coincident with the centreline of the bath and where the shower valve is mounted. I've assessed vertically as well and got something that avoids tile slivers.

My question concerns whether the tiles look better if they follow round corners - what I mean is, where there is a portion of the tile on side of the corner should the remainder follow around the wall on the other side of the corner?

One of the reasons I ask is that the wall above the bath (long side) is 1.8m which clearly falls nicely with 600mm long tiles - I will have almost a whole tile at the one end, or both if I centre.

As it stands on the shower wall (bath end) I will have 80mm of tile length going into the corner with this wall and the wall with the long side of the bath. Will it look odd if I start with a whole tile? If I use the remaining portion of the tile (600-520) I will end up with a portion of tile slightly less than 80mm at the opposite end of this wall.

What looks best?

I hope my explanation makes sense, and hence my question. I've attached a few pics of the room as it stands.

Thanks in advance.

Bathroom-4.jpg Bathroom-5.jpg Bathroom-6.jpg

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Chris.

Wrapping around does look good but you don't have to use the remainder of the cut ie: if you have a smallish cut then go with a biggish cut on the ajoining wall - to the eye that will be fine as that is all that counts.
Getting the horizontals so it works in every aspect of the room is the first thing to do which you have done. Then for the verticals you can treat each wall on its own merit - usually centering the wall or feature if it has one. You should then try to create a wrap around effect but as I already said this doesn't have to be bang on.
Only thing I would say is it's best to avoid starting with full tiles (unless of course the walls are perfectly plumb or you may find yourself getting into trouble with gaps appearing and getting too wide as the wall runs out) One way round this though is to find the widest point and allow the full tile to go there and the rest may need a little taking off, but it's best to use a little less than full tile so you have some play.

Good luck eith the job and post some pics when you're done.

OP
C

Chris_911

Many thanks Macten.

I've spent many hours (and a small fortune it seems) on Wedi board so the walls are as flat as they can be.

I've made a start today on tile the end wall (shower, window). I'm certainly no tiler - I'd forgotten the stress of getting the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ on the walls (and not over the floor, bath, etc) and getting the tiles on cleanly.

Ah well - I'm sure the last wall will be better than the first.....

OP
C

Chris_911

Have been getting familiar with 365Drilss products. Was quite pleased with this one:

Bathroom-7.jpg Bathroom-8.jpg

OP
M

Martino

Now then mate i would go with deffinitly wrapping the tiles around the corner as you say....as it wont work on all the corners as you say...just do it on the ones you notice the most?...i.e in the actual shower and lets say not behing the bathroom door?

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
If your doing a standard set then move your centers so that you don't get a daft 80mm cut, i.e. move the tile by half, it's not a brick bond layout so why would you want to chase it around the wall ? Set out for the biggest amount of tile on the wall, not daft cuts.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Are you not tempted by brick-bond? I know i would be in your situation (with super flat walls).. Personal preference i guess.
I'm with Alan, but if a rubbish cut is un-avoidable, it can't hurt to wrap it round. Just don't do it if it means you'll end up with another bad cut at the other end too. ;)

Reply to Tile setting out advice required please in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
chris14498
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock