Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tile over Ditra supporting a very heavy tub in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I'm tile our bathroom, some basics - floor: 3/4" OSB T&G, 12" I-joists, 16" on center, new construction. I'm using the Schluter/Ditra-Heat uncoupling membrane but no heat cable under the tub that will be going in. The tub: Kohler slipper tub with four 1" dia. stainless legs and a composite skirt around the base, hiding the legs. The tub weighs 500 lbs. empty and holds 70 gallons of water. The floor tile is 18"x24". My question: with the tub full plus an occupant (two if I'm lucky), it will weigh in the area of 1350 pounds. Each leg will be supporting around 350 pounds. Will the tile over the DItra support this weight without cracking? Should I cut out a 3" circle through the Ditra where each leg will go and fill in with thinset, then tile over it to support the extra weight? Am I being paranoid? Thanks in advance!

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
What tiles are you using? As the bath is in four legs equispaced and in simultaneous contact it acts more like a UDL than a point load which would impose much differently and lower than a point load. That said the point load on each foot is about 150kg so 1500N or 1.5KN. This is actually pretty low. I know of a number of car showrooms with dita under tiles and they are fine. I'm not sure what the load supporting capacity of ditra is but I'm guessing its considerably higher than the load imposed by your bath.

OP
M
Reaction score
What tiles are you using? As the bath is in four legs equispaced and in simultaneous contact it acts more like a UDL than a point load which would impose much differently and lower than a point load. That said the point load on each foot is about 150kg so 1500N or 1.5KN. This is actually pretty low. I know of a number of car showrooms with dita under tiles and they are fine. I'm not sure what the load supporting capacity of ditra is but I'm guessing its considerably higher than the load imposed by your bath.
Thanks for the quick response! As for the tile, I'll actually be picking it up tomorrow and I'll have more info then. My wife ordered the tile so it's a surprise! I feel a little better with your response, I just don't want to hear a crack as the tub is filling for the first time.

Reaction score
Are the car showrooms on joists with osb boards merely ditra mat?

Reaction score
I'm no tiler, but hardie backer is not uncoupling. Also, it is not structural.
Hardie will carry, and spread a hell of a lot more weight per m² than any other market competitor, and over a timber based floor is the best way to offer any kind of guarantee!
If you want simple decoupling over a new screed then obviously a mat will be the answer!
I've laid thousands of floors, always following advice and "trends"on which backer is best, and on any timber substrate the hardie is the only one to have never failed! So if you would like to come back to me, once you have done a little bit of research and a few hundred thousand metres of tile, feel free 👍🏻

This place is an absolute wash with whoppers!

Reaction score
Hardie will carry, and spread a hell of a lot more weight per m² than any other market competitor, and over a timber based floor is the best way to offer any kind of guarantee!
If you want simple decoupling over a new screed then obviously a mat will be the answer!
I've laid thousands of floors, always following advice and "trends"on which backer is best, and on any timber substrate the hardie is the only one to have never failed! So if you would like to come back to me, once you have done a little bit of research and a few hundred thousand metres of tile, feel free 👍🏻

This place is an absolute wash with whoppers!
Sorry. I stand corrected.

Reply to Tile over Ditra supporting a very heavy tub in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock