Discuss Tile on to chipboard floorboards in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I need to tile a small entrance way to a hall (small being 1.5m^2). The floor is a suspended chipboard (new). I understand I need to use flexible adhesive. Do I need to prime the floor? If so, any particular primer? Any other tips would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
You need to overboard rhe chipboard floor with a tile backer board before tiling. Depending on what brand you use will determine if you need to prime it with a suitable sbr primer

Rae

-
Reaction score
I need to tile a small entrance way to a hall (small being 1.5m^2). The floor is a suspended chipboard (new). I understand I need to use flexible adhesive. Do I need to prime the floor? If so, any particular primer? Any other tips would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Just use ditra matt

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would over board with cement boards rather than use ditra Matt, that way you can stick it down with adhesive and screw it down, you will be surprised how much it will stabilise the floor to give you the perfect tiling surface as opposed to using a decoupling matt which will only help with lateral movement...

Reaction score
BAL do a product called 'PTB Fibre Plus' which is suitable for tiling directly onto chipboard flooring. I used it for the first time last year on a 24sq mtr job and in a wet area and to date, no issues whatsoever. I did however, screw down the t&g floor boards to within an inch of there lives lol!
I have to admit though that I am sceptical of using such products but after a chat with the BAL Technical team I gave it a go and its alright. Don't get me wrong though, it aint cheap!
Normally I would have used a backer board, glued and screwed.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
BAL do a product called 'PTB Fibre Plus' which is suitable for tiling directly onto chipboard flooring. I used it for the first time last year on a 24sq mtr job and in a wet area and to date, no issues whatsoever. I did however, screw down the t&g floor boards to within an inch of there lives lol!
I have to admit though that I am sceptical of using such products but after a chat with the BAL Technical team I gave it a go and its alright. Don't get me wrong though, it aint cheap!
Normally I would have used a backer board, glued and screwed.
how does that stuff compare to bal single part fast flex..??

Reaction score
how does that stuff compare to bal single part fast flex..??

Hey Andy..... for starters its about £25 cheaper plus you get 20kgs and not 12.5.

Its more rapid setting and, not that you would do it that often, if at all, but it will bed up to 25mm and is groutable after 3hours instead of 5hours so tile in the morning, grout in the afternoon. If your using a varying thickness tile/slab then its perfect. Also, if you have a fairly uneven floor and want to get in and out and you can't wait for a FLC to dry out then this is great too, although if your going to be bedding up 25mm you're probably better of levelling it to keep the cost down. But that can be a toss up of time between labour and hours lost in levelling etc. without getting tiles down!

Its also BAL approved for sticking cement boards down, although there maybe others too but at this price I haven't checked out any other BAL products in that regard!
The funny thing is that its pourable yet when tiling an external disabled access ramp for instance, it doesn't slide!!
Its also sound for wet rooms where the floors get saturated, or complete submersion such as swimming pools.
I did a wet room using 600sq tiles and it was sound, quick and easy to use and even though the overall floor sloped, it was about 11/12mm out from one side to the other, I just back buttered to bring up the level and it coped well. And just so you know, the shower head was from Porcelonosa and was 2foot square, had 3 water feeds to it and weighing around 20kgs it took 2 of us to get it held up and fitted to the frame in the ceiling, so it kicked out some water lol!!

I guess for me it takes a lot for me to change to a different product when I'm used to something but now I have tried it, I now keep using it, in the right environment!

Reply to Tile on to chipboard floorboards in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks