Discuss Tile/Laminate Finish in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

R

Rookery

How would you finish the junction of bathroom wall tiling onto laminate flooring? Tile down onto the boards or boards up to the wall tiling? Either way, finish with that scotia trim or silicone?

B

Bubblecraft

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
In a bathroom, I wouldn't fit scotia. It's not AC5 rated so it swells & get brittle in no time. The finish on top of the scotia starts to bubble then crack or burst & comes away from the backing. This is based on matching scotia's, not solid hard or soft wood. Personally I would tile to the floor & leave your expansion gap up to the tile.

In this case, I would fit a skirting on top of the tile as it will be a far better looking finish. I can assure you that the laminate won't stay down that long in a bathroom. Even if its AC5 rated. This way it can be re-tiled later & either slid under the skirting or skirting can be removed still with the wall tile finished to the floor.

Using a silicone between the wall & laminate is going to look naff because your going to need at least a 18mm expansion to allow for heavy movement in a high humidity area.

C

Colour Republic

skirting for me too

R

Rookery

Good answer, thanks. I normally done get involved in such floor coverings but thats what the customer wants.

R

Rookery

Would you fix the skirting and then tile down to it or fix the skirting over the tiles, 10mm porcs by the way.

C

Colour Republic

[FONT=&quot]That really depends on the skirting style and thickness. My preference would be to fit floor/fit skirting/tile. But if the skirting only has a thin lip at the top then I would tile/floor/skirting. Whichever gives you the nicest looking transition between skirting and tile[/FONT]

Reply to Tile/Laminate Finish in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Floor Advice - Flooring Forum 0