Discuss Tile floor before fitting raised shower tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Enigma

-
Reaction score
Hi,
new here and after some advice on fitting a raised stone resin shower tray.

The shower tray comes with a raised upstand kit which is a fixed height.
Do you set the shower base at the height of the upstand plus the 10mm floor tiles plus the tile adhesive?
That seems the most obvious to me, but no idea what the thickness of the tile adhesive will be when I do the floor tiles?
worried if it is too thick, the upstand wont fit in, or too thin then a big gap.

Just wondered what is the best way of doing it?

Cheers
Ian

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Any particular reason the tray can't be fitted first and then just tile up to the feet of it? Assuming you will also be fitting the panel below, trim it to fit which will hide it all

Enigma

-
Reaction score
Ah OK so I could mark out the feet on the floor, tile the floor up to the feet, then measure the upstand, fit the shower tray to correct height.
Seems painfully obvious now!
Think I was overthinking the problem!

Cheers
Ian

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
No i was more meaning fit the shower tray and feet and then tile up to them in situ. then trim the upstand and seal with silicone to cover the cut end, you don't need to go under the feet. Or do as Julian says and just tile the floor then fit it all

Enigma

-
Reaction score
Hi Tony,
that is what I was initially thinking, but the upstand is an offset curve preformed to shape and it has a square C cross section, so a return lip at the top and the bottom so can't cut it as it would cut the bottom return off. Assume that would make it loose its shape on the curve at the bottom.

D

Dumbo

Tile under the outside feet as the bottom of the foot may help keep the plinth in place

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would fit the tray before tiling, then tile up to the legs.
This then reduces the step up into the tray by 15-20mm.
Throw the supplied curved panel away as they are rubbish and tricky to fit and buy a length of 95mm plastic cloak from Wickes for around £7, and a length of 3 x 2 cls.
Cut the cls for the straight edges of tray and fix to the floor, measure the length of cloak needed, I use a piece of string for this, cut and fix to the cls.
Little bead of silicone round the top and done.

Reply to Tile floor before fitting raised shower tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks