Discuss tile fixing to stud wall query in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
hello all,
I am having an ensuite room built and want it tiled all over. one of the walls will be a stud wall which I want to have wood covered so as to have good fixing for cupboards etc.
My questions are:

1) I thought of using thick plywood which I thought will need waterproof protection, is this the best idea?

2)If I douse as above will ceramic tiles stick well to plywood or would I need to have it covered with plasterboard and then waterproofed?

Any advise please.

S

Spare Tool

Another option is to plan where your cupboards ect will go while you've got the stud wall open and put some noggins in, then just fix MR plasterboards to the studs before tiling...whatever you decide don't tile onto ply walls

S

slythetiler

BS5385 has just been updated to remove the use of plywood as a backer for sticking tiles to on walls. Makes no mention though of using it as a strengthener in the wall.

Glynn

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Though ply-board has been excluded from BS5385 it has been used for many many years with success when the correct grade was used. Is it not strange that two months ago we could fix to ply now we can't. Same adhesives out there still with "suitable to fix tiles to ply-wood" whats changed. If you have Flooring Grade or Class 3 ply-wood only, then tanking is the way to protect it.

W

Waluigi

I don’t tile Ply wood anymore but absolutely agree that it’s sticks really well to a good quality thick veneered board.

As you can see:tearsofjoy:

B2C36477-3293-47D1-B125-29C35EACF9DD.jpeg

Too risky these days and the only board really suitable are SP101 and FG1 ply

Glynn

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Good picture. Are you going to build a stud wall around it? All the ply-wood in Tilemaster lab testing is Hansons SP101 because we beleive it is the best out there and the consistency helps us get consistent results.

W

WetSaw

Lab tests are one thing, the real world is another. When Joe public reads on a bag of adhesive that you can use it on ply, do you think he's going to buy Hansons SP101 or the cheapest Chinese stuck together with water and flour ply that he can find?

Glynn

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
All the information Joe Public needs is on the bag, including "exterior grade ply-wood". If he doesn't read the bag he could well have an issue. If he reads the bag and follows the instructions, he won't have an issue.

W

Waluigi

If people are still using ply in a shower then we can’t emphasise enough that it must be tanked. I’ve seen a lot of colours bleeding through the grout when people just tile directly into ply in a wet area and I know of a few of my Brethryn (Plumbers) who absolutely swear by tiling onto bare marine ply.

D

Dumbo

Though ply-board has been excluded from BS5385 it has been used for many many years with success when the correct grade was used. Is it not strange that two months ago we could fix to ply now we can't. Same adhesives out there still with "suitable to fix tiles to ply-wood" whats changed. If you have Flooring Grade or Class 3 ply-wood only, then tanking is the way to protect it.
Answer to your question bal now make backer boards so of course its changed.

Reply to tile fixing to stud wall query in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks