Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tile cutting for a shower? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

J-S-Q

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I have already successfully tiled my bathroom floor using a fairly cheap manual tile cutter, and a handheld grinder but I did get some minor chipping on my cuts (not an issue as all hidden under the skirting boards). My next task is to tile the shower enclosure where the tile cuts will be visible so I am wondering what is the best way to cut the tiles so that they don't end up having chipped/untidy looking edges? My plan is to use 600 x 300 x 10 porcelain tiles in a centred 'grid' layout. This means I will have to cut all tiles to fit. I will use a trim strip on the exposed edges.

What is my best bet? If this requires a very expensive wet cutter, I might have to get a pro tiler to do this although would prefer to do it myself as I have refurbed the entire bathroom and this is the final job that needs doing! :)

Grateful for any advice.

S

Spare Tool

Your score and snap cutter best bet if its big enough, if not accurate grinder cuts with maybe a better blade, tbh once its all siliconed there won't be any cut edges visible..

OP
J

J-S-Q

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yes, my cutter is big enough. I must say, the floor tiles I used had a bit of a textured surface which I imagine contributed to the mildly chipped edges I was getting. The wall tiles I'm planning have little to no texture so perhaps the cut will be better?

I guess I can try a cut or two and if the results aren't good I can hire a pro tiler. :)

One question.... are you saying that I should use silicone between the tiles and the trim strip? I have not used trims before and was under the impression that they just get grouted.

Reaction score
I have already successfully tiled my bathroom floor using a fairly cheap manual tile cutter, and a handheld grinder but I did get some minor chipping on my cuts (not an issue as all hidden under the skirting boards). My next task is to tile the shower enclosure where the tile cuts will be visible so I am wondering what is the best way to cut the tiles so that they don't end up having chipped/untidy looking edges? My plan is to use 600 x 300 x 10 porcelain tiles in a centred 'grid' layout. This means I will have to cut all tiles to fit. I will use a trim strip on the exposed edges.

What is my best bet? If this requires a very expensive wet cutter, I might have to get a pro tiler to do this although would prefer to do it myself as I have refurbed the entire bathroom and this is the final job that needs doing! :)

Grateful for any advice.
Get yourself a sigma max manual tile cutter. A decent ÂŁ50 grinder, good diamond disc, the cheapest and best one in that price range ( in my opinion) is a bellota 4" ( purple colour)
Approx ÂŁ350 to ÂŁ400 total cost. I don't know about other tilers but I charge ÂŁ35m2 for porcelain.
I know B&Q etc sell cheaper cutters but I can't comment as I have never used one. Hope that helps

Reply to Tile cutting for a shower? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock