Discuss Tile backer board, which brand do you recommend? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Andyman

TF
Reaction score
Hi guys
I am in the process of bathroom refurb.
I have around 23m2 of walls to tile approx 50 percent to new stud and 50 percent to rendered wall which I may counter batten.
Stud walls I want to either use a thicker board or insulate as they are external.
Floor will have 6mm boards for electric underfloor heating .
What brand would you choose and in the drier areas would you use mr plasterboard?

D

Dumbo

I would say 300 vertical and 600 horizontal to match board widths . I fit them landscape . But best check with Jackon

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
In wetrooms I use Deltaboard, but in bathrooms/shower-rooms I just use m/r plasterboard and tape and tank the wet areas.

W

Waluigi

Providing the weight of the tiles is under the 32kg PSM threshold then I wouldn’t hesitate using a combination of PU Foam and plasterboard on the studs. It’s all I use now on studs and the walls become perfectly flat and Plumb. Screw through the plasterboard once the foam has set which is under an hour.

Using foam for block walls is also possible but it takes a good amount of practise to get the wall perfect and I wouldn’t recommend it. It’s not easy. I’d recommend conventional gypsum based dri-wall adhesive.

W

Waluigi

Foam is able to stick studs to a wall but in this instance I was talking about a stud wall with the old plasterboard removed. The bare studs are then sprayed and then the new plasterboard is bonded on to them. Then screwed.

This is talking about bathroom walls which are rarely very big. If you have say a 6 metre long wall that needs making true then I’d look into other ways of getting it flat and Plumb. That’s another thread :)

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Foam is able to stick studs to a wall but in this instance I was talking about a stud wall with the old plasterboard removed. The bare studs are then sprayed and then the new plasterboard is bonded on to them. Then screwed.

This is talking about bathroom walls which are rarely very big. If you have say a 6 metre long wall that needs making true then I’d look into other ways of getting it flat and Plumb. That’s another thread :)

This is a curiosity question but what’s the benefit of using the foam on studs if you are screwing anyway?

W

Waluigi

Plumb and flat:thumbsup:

Just screwing straight to existing studs will usually mean a bed of adhesive I’m not comfortable with.

Reply to Tile backer board, which brand do you recommend? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks