Discuss Tile backer board first time in the UK Tiling Forum : DIY Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

Mapei Tile Adhesive - Official forum sponsor
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
What member type are you?
Homeowner, DIY Wall and Floor Tiler
Hi all, I'm tiling my bathroom that has plywood boards on the floor. Apparently you are supposed to put backer board first, I got HARDIEBACKER 6mm. It's my first time tiling with them (and 3rd in total) so I don't know how tight they have to be around walls, pipes, toilet etc? Can you fill gaps somehow? Can you put small pieces in bigger gaps? Cutting them turned out to be more difficult than I thought, photos attached - do you think I should start from scratch?
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

IMG_20200628_210757.jpg

IMG_20200628_210817.jpg

IMG_20200628_210813.jpg

IMG_20200628_210810.jpg

IMG_20200628_210825.jpg

What member type are you?
DIY Wall and Floor Tiler
Hardiebacker can be a real pain to cut which is probably what you've experienced. The Hardiebacker is there to support the tile ultimately so it needs to be sound and flat. You could fill the gaps with tile adhesive, don't forget to bed it all down on tile adhesive and tape the joints. Screw down and check continually with a level that it is flat.

Reply to Tile backer board first time in the UK Tiling Forum : DIY Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

TileFix Direct

New Threads (Sitewide)

Mapei Tile Adhesive - Official forum sponsor
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.