Discuss Tile Adhesive Still Wet After 18months in Shower ! in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hope you don't mind me asking but 18 months after our walk in shower was installed, we have discovered that the porcelain tiles (600 x 300) affixed to the walls (Kudos boarding) have yet to set ! We discovered this when changing a light fitting that was installed in the shower wall and was leaking. At first we thought it was water seeping from the light, but then we discovered the tiles above were just the same. They look just like they were laid about an hour ago ! The tiler used ready mix BAL Green Star (we still have his buckets) after researching the internet, it would appear that ready mix anything should not be used on shower walls ? Is this correct ? Or does this just apply to Kudos boarding ?

I phoned the tiler (who incidentally insisted that he provided the adhesives on the job at the time) but he seems in denial - first saying it was our fault, we should told him it was Kudos (my builder did) and we should have specified the correct adhesive to him (?), then it was the fault of the builder constructing the wall and finally, and perhaps more worrying, he's done loads of wet-rooms and never had a problem.
He says he will come back to take "a look" - but not for a week - which under present COVID rules, means we have no shower now & can't access any friend, relative or neighbour's facilities...any therefore no means of thorough washing (we have no bath). Needless to say, we are looking to get someone else in to re-do the job.

This tiler came highly recommended by a friend - so sadly we obviously did not question enough his credentials, and for that we are at fault.
For future reference
1. What are the minimum qualification we should look for in recruiting a new tiler ?
2. What product /method should be used to fix these tiles to the Kudos board ?- the only saving grace being that they will be easy to remove without damaging them !

pink

-
Reaction score
never use ready mix grout or tile adhesive and pay attention to sell buy dates and if you are going to reuse tiles take lots of photos and make sure you have spare hope this has been some help

Reaction score
never use ready mix grout or tile adhesive and pay attention to sell buy dates and if you are going to reuse tiles take lots of photos and make sure you have spare hope this has been some help
Thank you Pink ! Could you kindly confirm if I am likely to have a problem with the rest of the bathroom walls where we have used moisture board too ?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hope you don't mind me asking but 18 months after our walk in shower was installed, we have discovered that the porcelain tiles (600 x 300) affixed to the walls (Kudos boarding) have yet to set ! We discovered this when changing a light fitting that was installed in the shower wall and was leaking. At first we thought it was water seeping from the light, but then we discovered the tiles above were just the same. They look just like they were laid about an hour ago ! The tiler used ready mix BAL Green Star (we still have his buckets) after researching the internet, it would appear that ready mix anything should not be used on shower walls ? Is this correct ? Or does this just apply to Kudos boarding ?

I phoned the tiler (who incidentally insisted that he provided the adhesives on the job at the time) but he seems in denial - first saying it was our fault, we should told him it was Kudos (my builder did) and we should have specified the correct adhesive to him (?), then it was the fault of the builder constructing the wall and finally, and perhaps more worrying, he's done loads of wet-rooms and never had a problem.
He says he will come back to take "a look" - but not for a week - which under present COVID rules, means we have no shower now & can't access any friend, relative or neighbour's facilities...any therefore no means of thorough washing (we have no bath). Needless to say, we are looking to get someone else in to re-do the job.

This tiler came highly recommended by a friend - so sadly we obviously did not question enough his credentials, and for that we are at fault.
For future reference
1. What are the minimum qualification we should look for in recruiting a new tiler ?
2. What product /method should be used to fix these tiles to the Kudos board ?- the only saving grace being that they will be easy to remove without damaging them !
Totally wrong adhesive used 😳 , you most definitely do not use a bucket ( dispersion) adhesive on that size/type of tile , its a big no no and very naughty of said tiler to not know that.
Dispersion adhesive needs a porous background and air to dry. A minimum c2 cement based adhesive should have been used.

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
As above.......wrong, wrong, wrong.

I wouldn’t hold your breath in seeing the so called “Tiler” either 🙄

Reaction score

For future reference
I am sorry to hear you have had issues, even a 600x300 ceramic tile should not be fitted with paste adhesive. the reason why it has not dried is, a dispersion adhesive will never dry in the middle of the porcelain tile, no matter how long you leave the joints un-grouted. cement based adhesive (C2F) will cure chemically. also the grout will need to be a CG2 products, not a CG1

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
What a shame. Those will inevitably need to come off, the adhesive soaked and scraped off, then refitted with cement-based adhesive. So so sorry to hear of this. :(

I don't think I'd want the "tiler" to come back and attempt a fix. They're clearly chancing it and don't know even some of the most simple things a proper tiler will learn on week one.

Reply to Tile Adhesive Still Wet After 18months in Shower ! in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks