Discuss Tile Adhesive & Grout Classifications S1 S2 C2 Etc Explained in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

U

united

TILE ADHESIVE AND GROUT CLASSIFICATIONS

I always get mixed up or forget what the number/Letter
combinations for the classification of adhesive and Grout mean and everytime I try to look for a guide on here I can never find one so I thought I would start one off myself.

Please feel free to add to it or correct me

Type C - Cementitious (Cement based Adhesives)
Type D - Dispersion (Ready mixed / Tubbed)
Type R - Resin (Epoxy)

TILE ADHESIVE CLASSIFICATIONS
Extra characteristics are described by the numbers and letters below

1 - Normal Adhesive
2 - Improved Adhesive
F - Fast Setting
T - Thixotropy (Reduced slip/ Slip Resistance)
E - Extended open time
G - Grout

S - Elasticity / Flexibility / Deformability
S1 = Deformable (Flexible)
S2 = Highly Deformable

TILE GROUT CLASSIFICATIONS

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
  • TILE ADHESIVE ANS GROUT CLASSIFICATIONS

Spot on with your summary! The adhesion test (C) is the most difficult to pass because the adhesive is put through a series of tests, freeze/thaw cycles, water immersion etc and then the bond strengths are measured after 28 days. C1 is greater than 0.5 N/mm2 after all the different cycles and C2 is greater than 1 N/mm2.

Adhesives classed C2 may well have some flexural properties because you do need a reasonable addition of polymer to achieve the C2. The official start for the flexibility/deformability test starts with the S1 which is greater than 2.5mm of flex and then the S2 is greater than 5mm flex.

There are a lot of flexible adhesives on the market these days, if you are using an S1 or S2 rated adhesive you can have that extra piece of mind!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Have any classifications changed or been added recently does anybody know?

M

mattle40

I think a lot of the time the classification is too broad
Bal SPF has always been my go to adhesive really which is a C2TE.
I'm now Moving to mapei and their two C2TE adhesives, the p9 and p10 both have different specs to each other and both different from bal spf.

I think this is mostly why the trade counters and a lot of fitters don't know the classifications because to a point they're irrelevant if there can be so much variation within them

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Just checking in on this. Is everything still the same?

N

NZ_Tiler

Grout classification isn't showing up on my end.

W= more resistant to water
A = better abrasion resistance

C & R are the same as adhesive properties. ..

N

NZ_Tiler

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think 1N/mm2 is roughly 9kg of pulling pressure

D

Dumbo

The main question is . Is there a independent body that test adhesive to see Wether it is as good as the manufacturers claim .

N

NZ_Tiler

The main question is . Is there a independent body that test adhesive to see Wether it is as good as the manufacturers claim .
Well my understanding if it has the EN 12004 stamp then it's been through those strict tests to get its rating.

Definitely wary of anything without a standard stamp.

J

J Sid

I understand it was only the manufacture who did the test or had it done and then gave themselves the 'stamp'

Reply to Tile Adhesive & Grout Classifications S1 S2 C2 Etc Explained in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks