Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss This Tile Job Makes Me Sad in the General Chat Forum | Tilers Talk area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
We had a contractor tile some of the walls in three of our bathrooms with white subway tile. It looks unacceptable to me; the edges at the corners of the walls are sharp on both sides - he did not use curved tiles. We have other areas in the bathroom that were previously tiled with the same type of tile. Those older tiles all have curved edges. He told me that i should have told him "what I wanted" before he grouted everything. I am so confused by this - do most people have to say this to the person laying the tile? Is it not assumed that the edges will be curved? There is also areas where the size of the grout lines do not match in size. Some are wider than others. There are also places where there are tiny pieces, some of which aren't the same size from row to row. It looks odd. I don't like the way it looks. It makes me feel like I am "whining" about aesthetics, but again - I am just used to seeing a product that looks different - tiles with even spacing. The other problem is - I just am not sure how to tell him that I don't think he can fix it. I think he is not capable. But he has obviously spent time and money doing this work. Do I tell him that he gets nothing? Partial? Pay him everything and have the job redone? If I just have it redone by someone else, how toI make sure the next guy knows what he is doing??

I searched the site, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to attach photos. I know they are critical. Thanks in advance.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ha! Figured out how to add pics.

Attachments

• BFA5125F-020B-47C4-8932-5621E7EA04B6.jpeg
    BFA5125F-020B-47C4-8932-5621E7EA04B6.jpeg
    250.3 KB · Views: 139
  • D6615476-22CC-4873-94E4-2B2E1375A8A1.jpeg
    D6615476-22CC-4873-94E4-2B2E1375A8A1.jpeg
    401.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 4F3288CB-5205-469D-BAC9-3495B712F96B.jpeg
    4F3288CB-5205-469D-BAC9-3495B712F96B.jpeg
    433 KB · Views: 119
  • EC244098-3E4C-4824-9CAE-07D2BAB9B506.jpeg
    EC244098-3E4C-4824-9CAE-07D2BAB9B506.jpeg
    267.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 7C98D7FD-3313-44E1-8AB4-52BD282A8F34.jpeg
    7C98D7FD-3313-44E1-8AB4-52BD282A8F34.jpeg
    275.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 7139854A-3C8D-4C30-91EC-98016B163A9F.jpeg
    7139854A-3C8D-4C30-91EC-98016B163A9F.jpeg
    418.5 KB · Views: 143

Trigger

Arms
Reaction score
Wow, awful job. That is not the work of a professional tiler.

Based on that effort they are not capable of putting it right so I wouldn't let them. Needs ripping out and re doing.

Try and find a tiler by recommendation.

I feel for you, hope you get it sorted.

Trigger

Arms
Reaction score
Wow, awful job. That is not the work of a professional tiler.

Based on that effort they are not capable of putting it right so I wouldn't let them. Needs ripping out and re doing.

Try and find a tiler by recommendation.

I feel for you, hope you get it sorted.
I should add that although I said above you shouldn’t let them put it right, I think you are obliged to give them the opportunity to correct it.

Others on here may be able to confirm that or correct me if wrong.

Let us know the outcome.

T

Tom the Tiler

Yup, gotta give them a chance to rectify it first, although like previously stated,... thats no tiler and, its not even DIY standard

JASON

TF
Reaction score
That’s going to be a costly repair for that tiler ie a new bathroom. That’s really really bad tile I’d go straight to solicitor

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Wow..most unacceptable… it’s a take down and re -do job … never in a month of Sundays would I think ….or dream of getting away with that finish
Round edge (RE) Tiles are far and few between in the UK .. ( Can get in quarry tiles RE & REX)..so edging strip, Mitring or reverse cut is the way to deal with external edges
Good luck
GW.

Reaction score
Unfortunately that’s a rip out. It’s tricky because you can give him a chance to rectify, but let’s face it, he’s not aware of tile trim or how to set out. Might be an idea to ask him to reimburse for the materials if he didn’t supply and ask him to walk away. I doubt he has any sort of insurance so the mention of a claim might put the frighteners on him.

At the end of the day, that’s a really rough job.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Unfortunately that’s a rip out. It’s tricky because you can give him a chance to rectify, but let’s face it, he’s not aware of tile trim or how to set out. Might be an idea to ask him to reimburse for the materials if he didn’t supply and ask him to walk away. I doubt he has any sort of insurance so the mention of a claim might put the frighteners on him.

At the end of the day, that’s a really rough job.
It’s a beauty isn’t it.

Reaction score
It really is Dave! I try and give everyone the benefit of the doubt as we all have bad days or make mistakes… the fact that he didn’t trim the edge, carried on, grouted, then took a step back to admire his work is embarrassing.

On the plus side, I get work off the back of these mistakes. I used to show clients photos like this when they thought my quotes were too high, now I dont try to justify it… this is what your £80 a day labour gets you.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
It really is Dave! I try and give everyone the benefit of the doubt as we all have bad days or make mistakes… the fact that he didn’t trim the edge, carried on, grouted, then took a step back to admire his work is embarrassing.

On the plus side, I get work off the back of these mistakes. I used to show clients photos like this when they thought my quotes were too high, now I dont try to justify it… this is what your £80 a day labour gets you.
That job is American , they tend not to use trims but ye its an abortion.

Reply to This Tile Job Makes Me Sad in the General Chat Forum | Tilers Talk area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock