Discuss Thinking of starting out on my own how much can I earn a day/week? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

DonaldDuck

Hi All,

Been considering going it alone for a while now. How much can I realistically earn a day or week on my own. What is the going rate?

Cheers

Donald.

average

TF
Reaction score
Hi All,

Been considering going it alone for a while now. How much can I realistically earn a day or week on my own. What is the going rate?

Cheers

Donald.

You can earn as much as you'll put in. It's not just about the work when your on your own. You have to be good at selling yourself as well and if your excellent, then learn how to demand top dollar. I know one tradesman, amazing at his work but really useless at getting top money. He always let's the clients talk his rates down. He even feels sorry for them when they give the sob stories and ends up doing extras for low money, free or even collecting materials for free. It's Also to do with your personality and being firm not to budge on price.

Q

Qwerty

As above. It also depends on your geographical location, appearance, reputation, knowledge and quality of workmanship. Alot of variables but many of us make a very healthy living from it. Its not easy at the start but if you do everything right you will reap the rewards after a few years.

I believe it was @Sean Kelly who wrote a nice thread about starting out...... I will try & find it

O

One Day

You can earn as much as you're worth (and people are prepared to pay).
Too many variables to give figures!

W

WetSaw

Don't forget being self employed means no holiday or sick pay and your working day doesn't end when you leave the job, there's always paperwork, invoices, quotes etc. However, when you become successful you only have to work 3 1/2 days a week and every Friday is known as "Andysday"

I

Italy

Don't forget being self employed means no holiday or sick pay and your working day doesn't end when you leave the job, there's always paperwork, invoices, quotes etc. However, when you become successful you only have to work 3 1/2 days a week and every Friday is known as "Andysday"
3,5 days a Week.....
boom

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks for thinking of me Geoff. I'm still at it 9.5 years later, so I must me getting something right! However, I think I'm charging too low, but I am happy enough with my wage. I tend to make more money on the materials these days. I'm lucky enough to have the room to buy in bulk and to buy on trade days at tile shops (buy 2 get 1 free etc). A BAL rep even gave me 15sqm of their decoupling mat to try out the other week. They told me that a lot of tilers stay away from trade days in case they get suckered into buying things they don't want. I always make a point of attending........free stuff !!!

There is no going rate Donald. Read plenty of threads on this site and you will get an idea. Every week is different. It depends on your circumstances too. Do you need to earn a certain level? I was lucky enough to have 25 years of IT behind me and a redundancy package.

If you do decide then good luck.

U

Unused Account 1

You have to get the work ,do a top job ,dont think about the money,the moneys coming ,concentrate on quality ,every job,only good as last job,good luck

Reply to Thinking of starting out on my own how much can I earn a day/week? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks