Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Thermal Cement board vs Sand & Cement render prior to tiling on brick wall in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

cexec

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi All, It's my first post here.
I'm currently working on a wetroom in my flat and would love to hear your advice.

2 sides of the wetroom are pretty straight forward and are going to be tiled onto thermal cement boards fixed to timber pre-wall.
Other wall is was old plaster stripped to brick. I left some of the old plaster (roughly 20mm thick) in the rest of the bathroom and hoping to get flush finish between plaster and new tiles. To achieve that at first I considered rendering brick with sand and cement (prime with SBR) and apply tiles (big format 40x80) straight onto it.
If I was to go for this solution, is very thin render coat acceptable? I was thinking 6-8mm.
How long will I have to wait for sand and cement to dry before I can tile? 2 weeks?

Second method would be to mechanically fix thermal cement boards onto brick wall too. That would save me waiting for render to cure. The wall is very uneven though, so I guess boards would have to be fixed with https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ first, and then screwed afterwards.
The question is whether 6mm boards will be thick enough to support 40x80 tiles?
Here's the boards I'm using. Tile Backerboard - The Wetroom Store - https://www.thewetroomstore.co.uk/tile-backerboard/
If 6mm is to thin for this type of cement board, is there anything else on the market I could use in order to achieve minimum thickness?

Any advice or other tips much appreciated.
Thanks

115806218_3132644643487574_6208967736253574717_n.jpg

116220481_661328464731084_635559716100977520_n.jpg

Last edited:
OP
C

cexec

-
Reaction score
Hi guys, never mind. I did some further research and 'll use Ardex AM100 for wall leveling, it's ready to tile way faster than traditional sand&cement method and can by applied as very thin layer too.

Reply to Thermal Cement board vs Sand & Cement render prior to tiling on brick wall in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock