Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss The real difference between different wattage per m in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Thanks Jake. Is the 200w suitable On a timber floor, overboarded with insulation board as per what John said is dangerous ?

On a 6mm cement board the downward heat from a 200 mat is not recommended on a timber substrate.
I’d assume the insulation boards would be + 6mm thick and may be acceptable - but I would still only use a timber mat for a timber substrate.
And to repeat it’s the thermostat and floor sensor that control the heat - then you are leaving it to the householder to use it within the limits !!!!!

Uheat - Jake

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
On a 6mm cement board the downward heat from a 200 mat is not recommended on a timber substrate.
I’d assume the insulation boards would be + 6mm thick and may be acceptable - but I would still only use a timber mat for a timber substrate.
And to repeat it’s the thermostat and floor sensor that control the heat - then you are leaving it to the householder to use it within the limits !!!!!
A 160w or 200w mat can be used on a 6mm backerboard on top of timber. This is perfectly fine and has been done thousands of times without problems.

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

Excellent - and on which make of mat would you recommend?
I have 2 floors onto wood substrate in the next month - both geometric designs and 8mm thick solid body porcelain tiles - and both would require 10 sq mt mats.
Could you PM me a forum price - much appreciated.
John

Uheat - Jake

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
Excellent - and on which make of mat would you recommend?
I have 2 floors onto wood substrate in the next month - both geometric designs and 8mm thick solid body porcelain tiles - and both would require 10 sq mt mats.
Could you PM me a forum price - much appreciated.
John
Elektra is the brand we sell, will send you a PM later on.

OP
F

Flintstone

There all suitable for timber floors John, there isn’t one that says not suitable for timber floors.
Jake will sort you out, I have had a quote last week for a set up, I’m doing the job in December using the elektra.

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

There all suitable for timber floors John, there isn’t one that says not suitable for timber floors.

If you read his first reply -

There's different wattages for different floor finishes, bases and rooms.

100w/m2 mats are generally used only to give you a warm floor, these mats can be laid directly onto a timber base as they wouldn't cause it to warp. These can be used with any floor finish, however with a Wood or Carpet you'd need a 10mm Flexible SLC over the top.

160w/m2 mats are used for a primary heat source within a standard insulated room. (That's floor and wall insulation) These mats are the most popular as they offer a primary heating source without the need for any other heating source within the room. These are mainly used with tiles however can be used with Wood or Carpet restricting the floor temperature to 27 degrees.

200w/m2 mats are designed for high heat loss areas like a conservatory, these mats give off a higher output due to the cables being spaced closer onto the mesh.

So -
1) there are different mats for different floor bases.
2) a restriction (by householder) to 27 degrees with wood or carpet.
3). Cables placed closer on mat.

Which I believe is the context of my posts .
I assumed that the manufactures sold mats ‘ for concrete floors’ for that surface and a 6mm cement board doesn’t constitute a concrete floor in my humble opinion.

OP
D

Dumbo

Wasn't it a case years ago one loose cable for every floor base . What's really changed ? Other than marketing

Reply to The real difference between different wattage per m in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock