Discuss The mechanics of tanking and choosing grout in a wetroom? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

deepie

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of creating a wetroom at home. So far, i've done the tanking in the shower area using the BAL WP1 coating.

Yesterday, I fixed the porcelain mosaic floor tiles into place using BAL Single Part Flexible adhesive (as my first tiling job, i probably couldnt have picked a harder introduction!)

I think I am now experiencing some self doubt on what tile grout to use. Because my mosaic floor tiles are a dark grey, I had planned to use the BAL micromax gunmetal grey coloured grout - am I right to say i should mix in BAL admix GT1 to increase strength and water resistance?

However, one thing im not sure about is how "waterproof" the grout must be given that i've already tanked the wetroom area. I understand BAL Micromax is not as water tight like an epoxy grout but do i really need an epoxy grout if I've already tanked it? I'm aware as well that epoxy grout is quite difficult to work with. If i decided against an epoxy grout, used micromax and some water seeped through the grout onto the tanking, what level of protection does the tanking provide against water getting into the substrate (i expect full protection). More importantly, what are the possibilities that the water simply sits above the tanking and gets underneath the tiles causing them to come off?

I imagine the fact that I have UFH will help dry out any water which could potentially get through the grout faster than if i didnt have it.

What would you guys do? Go with a non coloured epoxy grout (can you even get coloured epoxy?), would you just stick with the BAL micromax or would you go with a different product altogether?

Thanks in advance,

Gurdeep

J

jay

:welcome: the waterproofing is there to protect the substrate all water that gets through the grout should fall in the direction of the drain that should have a puddle flange on it to allow this moisture into the drain .Epoxy grout (depends on what type you chose)is mainly stain proof and waterproof and in a shower floor if a light color grout is chosen its a good idea to use epoxy ,Hope that helps

V

VersaTileEssex

If you have properly tanked your wet room you have protected yourself against water damage, there is no need to use epoxy grout. Grout colour is totally up to you (personal choice) but just make sure you use a water resistant grout otherwise it could all start to crumble. Most grouts recommend about three weeks drying time tho, the longer you leave it to fully cure the better!!

Good luck, hope you get on ok!

kind regards,

Martin @ VersaTile

R

Rich

Hello and welcome to the forum.

What would I do? Me personally, I would use an epoxy but this is more down to the fact that it has a better resistance to staining from soaps and oils. However there is no NEED to use an epoxy here as you have tanked the area and a cement based grout will be a lot easier to use. The colour choice is down to how you want it to look but as long as you grout it correctly, using a suitable grout and silicone the internals correctly then the job should be a gooden :thumbsup:

B

Brinkley

bal micromax has additives already in the powder . you shouldnt mix gt1 with this grout i would stick with the micromax is its good grout and far easier to apply then an epoxy

Last edited by a moderator:
I

Ian

Do not add gt1 to micromax, it already has additives built in.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone

D

deepie

Thanks for the advice guys,

I'm gonna for the epoxy grout.

I need a grey coloured grout and I guess it needs to be flexible too given that I have UFH. Can you recommend any particular products?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a very old thread. But I wondered if these days, if it was asked again, whether we would have been able to offer a bit more advice and options?

O

Old Mod

This is a very old thread. But I wondered if these days, if it was asked again, whether we would have been able to offer a bit more advice and options?

A hybrid epoxy grout would probably be suggested nowadays.
Something like Kerakoll Fugalite Bio.
Although, they have just released a new one which has 50 colours available.
If literature is to be believed, it behaves like an epoxy but is more like a cementitious grout to use.
Time will tell. 😊

Reply to The mechanics of tanking and choosing grout in a wetroom? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Carr
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks