• Thread starter Mike ramsdale
  • Start date
  • Replies 60
  • Views 9K

Discuss The Beast in the Tile Tools | any Country any make any model area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

Concrete guy

The Hz rating of American machinery is slightly different to UK, but fundamentally there's no reason you can't just chop off the plug and use a transformer.

You can also buy UK 240v to US 120v step down transformers but you'd need a pretty powerful one to stop the RCD's tripping on the consumer unit.

These days with the poor Sterling/Dollar rate, shipping cost, import duty and VAT it's probably no longer worthwhile. There was a time that stuff was effectively half price, when it was (years ago) I bought a compound mitre saw from the US for less than half the cost in the UK.

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can somehow use American tools in the UK? this cutter looks the bollox and half price of the Dewalt on ebay but I can't find a UK version anywhere. the one step set up is a time saver and its way more versatile than the dewalt with the sliding head etc.......
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...RMxxQN6WnMJReW68Q&sig2=O0ic6-RS7VXxwVfeS-tDAA
I emailed a seller on ebay asking how much postage would be and it was about 200 quid I fancied one my self till then

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm using mine at the moment on a carrera marble job got sick of the sigma 10m having to flip the tile on the face and make a little nick before turning it back over to make the cut or it blows the edge of the back end as u pass it through I'd that makes and sense

S

Spare Tool

Genuinely interested..what exactly does it do an angle grinder with a decent blade in it can't?

O

One Day

Very smooth edge to cuts.
20mm limestone with an angle grinder and top quality blade = maybe 2or3 mins per cut.
Dewalt, or other decent saw = 30 secs.
Minutes turn to hours, hours turn to days, days turn to lost profits.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Erm,typically ;) i find it quicker and more accurate with a grinder on stone .
The house i did recently was around 3/4 foot out of square front to back .
Every room (7 rooms in total) was twisted badly , it would of taken me longer to cut with my machine , i just measured, marked and cut away .
Oh and every blooody skirting was on in every room , and not one wall or skirting straight :(

Ps i once saw a thread or post on here years ago saying you should not use wet cutters on stone as you can't lay it wet?

IMG_6236.JPG IMG_6307.JPG IMG_6033.JPG

W

WetSaw

Clearly with "bespoke" cuts a grinder is going to be easier but with repetitive cuts doesn't the saw win? Horses for courses isn't it?

Reply to The Beast in the Tile Tools | any Country any make any model area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks