Discuss Tanking/waterproofing in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
After a bit of advice regarding substrates and waterproofing

Current bathroom structure is:
Floor
2x8 joist, braced with noggins
25mm WBP plywood
Walls
3 are of stone rendered & plaster skimmed
1 is plasterboard, skimmed

Bath area is to have an overbath shower fitted
And the bath will be surrounded by the solid construction walls which are plastered

I intend to tank these walls, and so I'm looking for advice regarding products that are suitable for this
And is it worth taking below the bath line to the floor and to the ceiling, extending 500mm past the edge of the bath?

Is there anything recommend that should be applied to the ply floor before tiling?

As it stands my intention is to use durabase installed onto the ply, and tile onto the matt

Advice is greatly appreciated as I would of course prefer to only do this once haha

Thanks all

O

Old Mod

Before advising you on wall tanking, we would need to know your choice of intended wall Covering, i.e. ceramic or porcelain?

O

Old Mod

If you’re sure they’re ceramic, then Ardex WPC will be suitable product, I tend to recommend it because it’s easy to see when you’ve achieved full coverage.
If you’re tiling down on top of an already fitted bath, then just below bath height will be fine.
Tanking just beyond the wet area is generally far enough, but of course you can go as far as you like.

Reaction score
That's great, I was looking at the ardex wpc so I'll go ahead and order that then.

I see that includes scrim tape
Is that to be used in internal corners
Or do i need an additional corner tape to create a seal?

Edit :
I've seen a video demonstration
Answered my question above

Many Thanks again
No doubt I'll be quite a regular on here while we refurb this room.

Reaction score
If you’re sure they’re ceramic, then Ardex WPC will be suitable product, I tend to recommend it because it’s easy to see when you’ve achieved full coverage.
If you’re tiling down on top of an already fitted bath, then just below bath height will be fine.
Tanking just beyond the wet area is generally far enough, but of course you can go as far as you like.
Hi, just passing through this old thread as I'm planning to use some ardex WPC. You seem to imply that the Ardex is not suitable for use with porcelain. Was that what was meant or have I missed some subtlety? The datasheet seems to say it should be ok. Thanks.

jobdone

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Arden WPC is suitable for porcelain. The plaster skimmed walls may not be due to hanging weight of the tiles, adhesive and grout. 22kg m2 I believe for skimmed plaster.

Reply to Tanking/waterproofing in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks