Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tanking to bath/shower base in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
What is the best way of finishing tanking to the top of a bath or normal shower tray?

OP
R

Richard Edwards

That's a really good question PRT and one I've wrestled with for years.

I've tried a couple of times to lip it down over a resin / stone tray and then cover it with the tiles down the wall and to be honest I've no real confidence in the 'seal' you get as the lip is too narrow. Now I prefer to run the tanking menbrane [sheet type only] down the walls and below the top of the tray height. Then offer the tray up to it and secure the tray. Then - the most important, I seal the joint between the tray and membrane with quality sanitary silicone and finish the top surface carefull so no pin holes or gaps. Allow to cure - 24 hrs and then tile on down to the tray, leaving a gap under the tiles of about 2 mm if possible. Then after all grouting [Do not get grout in the 2mm gap - clean out if this happens] apply second silicone seal around the tray top, making sure the silicone is under the tile edge. Baths are the same.

Others may disagree - this method works well and I can walk away with confidence. Job a good un. :8:

OP
G

Gazebo

Great advice Richard, i do the same in this situation and its good to point out no grout or addy in the silicone joint.

Reply to Tanking to bath/shower base in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock