Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tanking - Sealing to white tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

F

Flintstone

Please checkout the following advertisement.
it's a topic that has cropped up before but I don't think a definitive outcome came from it. What is your method to ensure the best possible seal to a white shower tray when your tanking the walls?

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I like to tank the wall first. Then fit the tray, silicone the gat between tanking and tray. As I use ardex wp, I masking tape the tray just less than the thickness of the tile and fit the reinforcing mesh to the wall and up to the masking tape. Mix a small amount of tanking and cover up to the tape on the tray.
Tile leaving a 3-5 mm gat to the tray and silicone.

Should last and be flexible

Last edited:
OP
Q

Qwerty

I use either Marmox multibond or Ceresit FT101 to bond the tray to the wall and smooth joint with fugi tool as if siliconing. Let this fully dry before masking off on tray approx 5-8mm from wall. I then take the tanking down over the joint and onto the tray using the banding also if part of a tanking kit.

OP
F

Flintstone

As I don't fit trays and board walls, as that's a plumbers job ;) i am usually presented with a tray that is already fitted. Although if possible I like to get in to tank the wall prior to tray going in. Has anyone used the self https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ tape onto the tray?

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Do you mean the blue classi seal. .?
Personally, I hate it. It makes you have to bed the tiles out, to cover it. It does allow for movement, but he tray should be bedded down well, or if it's a tray with legs, the sides should be supported with timbers, the same as a bath.

OP
F

Flintstone

No I mean the butyl tape, you peel the back off and it's self https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ waterproof tape, for waterproofing joints and corners. It would certainly stick to a tray

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
No I mean the butyl tape, you peel the back off and it's self adhesive waterproof tape, for waterproofing joints and corners. It would certainly stick to a tray

Yep, I always tape the corners and take the tape from wall either over the bath or tray by about 15-20mm. I then tile, once all set I run brand new stanley blade around edge and peel away excess, then silicone. No way water is getting through that.

Reaction score
I use duct tape as I find masking tape sometimes a little tricky to remove if left on for too long. always use the preformed corners and nice clean blade remove any excess at the end-silicone-done

Reply to Tanking - Sealing to white tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock