Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Taking good photos in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Has any one got any tips for taking good photos for your portfolio?
Mine always seem to have at least one thing that I would not be happy with,not the tile quality but....too much light,not enough light,reflections from mirrors,glass,not able to get everything you would like into the photos,getting too much.... etc,etc
Is a Photoshopping or other image altering digital apps any good?

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
I have often wondered about this...I have a semi pro photographer friend down here I have thought of using before.

OP
W

WetSaw

A wide angle lens (24mm or smaller) is a good start. A tripod is also useful as you can get the camera in places you won't fit, turn all lights on and use a longer exposure without flash will reduce glare. Most cameras have a self timer so you can set it up then jump out of the room. The standard Windows photo editor is usually enough to adjust brightness and contrast.
Also have a look in the cameras preset modes,try fill flash or slow sync. The flash is also often too harsh. Try sticking a bit of frosted plastic across the flash to diffuse it and soften it.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
W

WetSaw

Sorry Andy, I forgot you're not a multitrader.....better call a Photographer!

( Witty banter...please don't take offense [emoji6] )

OP
F

Fliselege

Do most of you go back and take pics?
When I've finished the plumber has to come back to 2nd fix so bathroom looks a bit bare..
I don't, just take pics of my work, not interested what fixtures and fittings are lobbed in. And anyway, if I did go back, I'd only be conned into siliconing the plumbers furniture as they are too lazy and idle to do it themselves. ;-)

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

Not sure if any bathroom is well photographed as the sizes are often too small for scope of lens.
Floors are better.
Professional pics are worth it if you have a purpose ie brochure/ leaflet.

OP
C

Colour Republic

Has any one got any tips for taking good photos for your portfolio?
Mine always seem to have at least one thing that I would not be happy with,not the tile quality but....too much light,not enough light,reflections from mirrors,glass,not able to get everything you would like into the photos,getting too much.... etc,etc
Is a Photoshopping or other image altering digital apps any good?

for interior shots you really do need a wide angle lense. A lot of ponit and shoot cameras have these now but check

with regards to light and exposure the camera will often alter these depending on where you point the camera. As default most cameras will take its setting from the center of the frame, so for example if you point the camera in the room and in the center of frame is a bright window, then it will reduce the exposure so the window comes out normal and the rest of the room looks dark, if you point the camera in a dark corner of the room then it will increase exposure in the dark area but the window could come out bleeched.

Some cameras will allow you to offset its point of focus. So instead of the point of focus being the center of the frame, you can move it to say the bottom right hand corner where it's darker, this will increase exposure and brighten the picture but still keep say the window in the center of the picture. make sense?

Of course you can do the same thing by altering shutter speed etc but the above is a kinda cheat around it if you're not familiar with settings and want to just leave the camera in auto mode.

If you want to get more of the room in to the picture then get away from just having the camera pinting dead on at head height. I quite often get the camera in akward positions pointing at an angle. A common one is standing on the bath and getting the camera above head height in a corner where the ceiling meets the walls, then angle the camera down at a 45 degree angle. Also similar thing by getting down low and angle the camera up. This way you get much more of the room in to the picture, it's also helpful when taking pictures with mirrors in them and you don't want your reflection shown.

OK this example isn't strictly like the above as there are not great photos and it's a pretty big room but i was still stood on top of a ladder with the camera angled down in order to get more of the room in shot.

coodenpro1.jpg

coodenpro2.jpg

To get really good shots then it's worth exploring all the settings on your camera and understanding what they do, but as I say there are work arounds if you want to leave it on auto.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
F

Fliselege

I have got apparently the best camera ever made, my dad's old Olympus OM-1. But I still can't take a decent picture to save my life.

Reply to Taking good photos in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock