Discuss Suspended Timber Solution in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently renovating a house which has suspended timber flooring of 100mm joists. I am also extending the property which will have a concrete floor.

I am wanting to install wet UFH in both areas and for the concrete floor I'm comfortable with the 100mm of insulation, pipes and screed system. However for the suspended timber area I've had conflicting information from suppliers obviously wanting to sell their own solutions. Hence why I thought I'd ask here.

With 100mm of suspended timber to play with, what would you guys suggest as the best option?

I'm planning on tiling throughout both areas.

Thanks.

Uheat - Jake

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
Are you ripping up your floor boards? If you are then it gives you two options, either a Spreader plate or a screed infill section. A spreader plate is a aluminium plate which is fixed on top of the joists with 2 x 16mm pipe channels grooved into it. These have insulation placed below and a floor board placed over the top. The screed infill system would work like a standard screed system, you'd need insulation between the joists and then you'd need to use a Sand/Cement mix level to the top of the joists. This system requires your joists to take a extra 20kg/m2 in weight.

If you're not taking the floor boards up then the only option that's left would be a retrofix where there is many different solutions, like a Gypsum Panel or a Matting with a SLC filling over the top.

If you'd like anymore information or PDF files on these systems please feel free to give me a call or drop me a email on [email protected]

Uheat - Jake

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
How thick are you putting screed in @Uheat - Jake as most screeds weigh about 17kg every 10mm thickness
It's information we've been provided. However we do advise customers to check with their structural engineer that it can handle the weight if they choose this option.

Reaction score
Thanks, I would prefer a screed or biscuit mix to have the two areas be as close as possible to heat up timings etc.

However my main concern is the 100mm deep beams. I will be taking the floorboards up btw. With 100mm deep beems is this sufficient to fit ufh? What depth and type of insulation should I consider between the beams and also screed type and depth etc?

As I understand it from FFL to underside I would have...

Porcelain Tile
Slip membrain
Pipes embedded within screed between joists (depth?)
Insulation between joists (depth?)

What is suspending the insulation to prevent fall through? I want to have minimal resistance between screed and tile as possible therefore should I board with ply under the joists rather than over?

Intimately I need to know if raising the floor level will be needed given the 100mm existing beam depth.

Thanks.

Reply to Suspended Timber Solution in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks