Discuss Supplier or ideas for stone shower bench? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

BigGeeGee

The wife has got it in to her head that our new walk in wet room (shower size in the room of 5mx4m is 1.5x1.5m) needs one of those shower benches she's seen in a lot of American bathrooms. Good idea, bad idea - it's happening for my quiet life :)

I was hoping that this might be a standard item, with some predefined sizes (lengths) of bench and then select the material etc but I'm beginning to think this is very much a custom piece of stone. Granite, (man-made) Quartz, Marble etc

Before I go down that route, does anyone know a supplier of ready made shower bench? Is this something we don't see that much of in the UK?

Thanks in advance

Cranbrook

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Whats the floor made of timber or masonry? Theyre easy enough to custom build, Ive done one recently that was on masonry... Just built it up with some blocks, covered with jackoboard, tanked where needed, then tiled with a slight fall so no sitting water..

20180824_111844.jpg

W

Waluigi

Most benches I see are curved and have mosaic lining. Usually built using the wedi curved foam boards.

C

Concrete guy

Find your local stonemasons yard or granite worktop installer and pop in and ask what off cuts they have available and could they run you up a straight piece for your shower.

Go armed with accurate dimensions and tell them what edges you'd like polished and if you'd like them polished square or round (bull nosed). Round costs more.

You'd be surprised how inexpensive it can be if you're flexible with what you'd like fitted.

I'd personally avoid man made quartz. Marble or granite will be most appropriate.

W

Waluigi

I agree with that. I use a local company for bathroom worktops just by choosing offcuts and it’s very reasonable.

I must admit, I mainly use Quartz. Is the reason for the suggestion of avoiding Quartz because it’s in a Shower?

W

Waluigi

Thanks, yes that’s what I assumed.

That stuff needs to steer well clear of the tiling industry IMHO.

C

Concrete guy

Quartz really doesn't cope with temperature change all that well. Some makes struggle with moisture, others fade in UV light and many are susceptible to etching when exposed to chemical.

Whilst natural stone (particularly marble) will also etch/discolour. It's a lot easier to refinish, particularly surface refinishing.

I'm not a fan of quartz mainly due to the difficulties in maintenance and refinishing long term.

Reply to Supplier or ideas for stone shower bench? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks