Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Subfloor prep advice in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
So I have two new quotes and I'm a tile virgin so want to be prepared for what to expect. Any tips on the subfloor prep is much appreciated. I'm panicking about making a mistake or drastically underestimating the time required to prep.

1. Old floor and wall tiles need removing and placing (not sure on size of the rooms yet)

2.To fit ceramic tiles to the kitchen floor.

O

Old Mod

If only it was that easy to address substrate preparation in a few comprehensive sentences.
Unfortunately you could prep and tile 10 floors in a row and each and every one could require different approaches.
Without specific questions or details it’d be almost impossible to guide you.
If the surfaces are already tiled, you can’t really determine what preparation is going to be required until they’re stripped back.
You can have a reasonable guess, and formulate a basic plan and cost, but it can be in no way a fixed quote, you must have room for movement in costs.
Even if it appears it’s just a case of removing tiles from a solid floor and replacing them.
It could have deeper issues which won’t become apparent until it’s been stripped.

And if you’re new to the industry, prepare for mistakes on your part, because you will make them, and you have to be prepared to take it in your stride. You also have to be prepared for things to take longer than they might for fully experienced fitters, because of course, they will.
But that’s at your expense, not your clients.
Maybe you should be considering shadowing a local tiler, even if it’s for very little money even free of charge one day a week.
It’s a hard road being totally self taught.

So I’ve just been reading all your previous posts, and whilst it’s apparent you’re very new to the trade, you do mention in one post that you’ve been taught to use trim.
So I’m assuming that’s not only thing you’ve been taught, be pretty strange if it was. :D
It’d probably serve you well to tell us a bit about your background, exactly what you’ve been taught, and why you find yourself trying to cope with very little knowledge.
I appreciate you may feel a little uncomfortable with the idea, however, a little humility in here can go a very long way.

Start a new introductory thread

HERE

Of course you don’t have to, it’s entirely your choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dumbo

If you are a tile virgin I don't think you should worry about quotes . I think you should tell your victim sorry customer have never done this before but you would happy to do their work for free to gain experience if they are prepared to take the risk .

OP
JordanLincs
Reaction score
Great advise, thanks! I have a couple of questions if you wouldn't mind answering them?

1. Let's say I rip up and old tile and the subfloor is concrete. I would need to chisel/scrap up old https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ then clean to perfection, then SBR -> SLC (if required) and then SBR again. If the room is pretty small and not a new build then Ditra is not required. Flexi https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ is required for all floor and sometimes 2 part flexi with certain tiles?

2. If wall tiles are removed and the plaster is ruined the replace with 12mm No More Ply? SBR etc... what if it's on brick and the surface isn't very flat? D&D on some No More Ply?

3. If the previous subfloor is ply and is ok condition then use 6mm Nore more ply over the top if no height restriction?

4. If when removing old floor I have to bring back to floorboards should I just screw down 6mm No More Ply, no 'back glueing' required?

Hopefully, I'm thinking along the right lines.... eeek

Reply to Subfloor prep advice in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock