Discuss Stud wall weight limits in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Tommcd

Evening all,

I understand the weight limits for plasterboard, backer board etc, but....

I was wondering what is a reasonable weight limit for the actual stud partition wall? (As in, what's the limit before the framework starts crashing down) Is this something I should be considering on jobs? and what about gypframe? Stronger, weaker?

Sorry if these are stupid questions! Cheers

Q

Qwerty

I haven't actually thought about it that much. Ive always built my own stud walls where heavy weights are involved and made them rock solid. I dare say that an architect or surveyor may have facts and figures

Glynn

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I don't know the wieght limits for studding and Gypframe but all trades have standards for doing their trade correctly and will have a standard that a stud wall should meet and we would expect it to be built to the standards required. We in the tiling industry have done years of product testing on all the backgrounds and substrates in regards to weight suitability but these weight limits are based on things like stud walls being done well. We have to rely on others to do there work correctly, and it is hard to know sometimes if their work is to (the satndards) required. One thing we cannot control is the quality of other tradesmens work so if you have doubts about the stud walls suitability to take the weight of the tiling installation bring it to someones attention who may be able to address your concern or better still, if you have the skills do it yourself to a standard that you are satisfied with do it. These forums are full of threads that start with "can anyone tell me if this substrate is good enough to tile to". Fortunately these same threads do have good advice and tricks of the trade that have been used and proved over many years experience. Long winded but hopefully helps.

Reply to Stud wall weight limits in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks