Discuss Stuck - what grout? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Liam D

-
Reaction score
Stuck!

I'm a DIYer that's spent the last few months remodeling the bathroom in my house. I'm nearing the end now and had some great advice from the experts in here (thanks!)

I'm now finally onto the grouting stage having nearly killed myself with hundreds of subway tiles!

My bathroom is tiled with subway wall tiles. Black and white victorian main floor tiles and then a matt black mosaic hex tile in the shower.

The general theme is black and white.

The bit I'm stuck on is what grout to use for the matt black hex mosaic tiles on the shower floor. I have bought some Tilemaster Grout 3000 (pure white) but am now thinking that's not really suitable.

From what I now understand / think... I really need to use an epoxy grout for the shower floor and that white is probably a bad choice as it will need lots of cleaning / maintenance.

So I'm looking for help / suggestions on the type / brand of grout and colour to go for.

Please remember I'm a DIYer which for me means slow... so anything that says quick / hard to clean is not an option. I'm pretty certain that rules out the popular Mapei Ultracolor FA grout. I'm now thinking maybe Keracoll Fugalite BIO?

Any suggestions on the colour / grout appreciated. On the colour front I'm starting to think maybe charcoal?

I've attached a picture of the tiles. The subways will have a dark grey grout.

Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• 20210115_202358.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 29

Liam D

-
Reaction score
Stuck!

I'm a DIYer that's spent the last few months remodeling the bathroom in my house. I'm nearing the end now and had some great advice from the experts in here (thanks!)

I'm now finally onto the grouting stage having nearly killed myself with hundreds of subway tiles!

My bathroom is tiled with subway wall tiles. Black and white victorian main floor tiles and then a matt black mosaic hex tile in the shower.

The general theme is black and white.

The bit I'm stuck on is what grout to use for the matt black hex mosaic tiles on the shower floor. I have bought some Tilemaster Grout 3000 (pure white) but am now thinking that's not really suitable.

From what I now understand / think... I really need to use an epoxy grout for the shower floor and that white is probably a bad choice as it will need lots of cleaning / maintenance.

So I'm looking for help / suggestions on the type / brand of grout and colour to go for.

Please remember I'm a DIYer which for me means slow... so anything that says quick / hard to clean is not an option. I'm pretty certain that rules out the popular Mapei Ultracolor FA grout. I'm now thinking maybe Keracoll Fugalite BIO?

Any suggestions on the colour / grout appreciated. On the colour front I'm starting to think maybe charcoal?

I've attached a picture of the tiles. The subways will have a dark grey grout.

Cheers
Andy

I think I might be doing a 180 here - never thought choosing a grout would be this difficult.

I was (still am) close to going for Keracoll Fugalite Bio2 (Anthracite) - what's now putting me off is the finish is stated as being 'silky smooth' so I'm thinking like sealant almost - reading around I'm guessing all Epoxys are like that. I'm not sure a silky smooth finish would look right.

So I'm now thinking back to Tilemaster Grout 3000 in Charcoal. I've got a few bags of the Dark Grey for the wall and the bag says its suitable for wetrooms and even swimming pools - so my shower floor should be fine. Plus charcoal - so no worries about the grout staining over time.

Cheers

Last edited:

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I think I might be doing a 180 here - never thought choosing a grout would be this difficult.

I was (still am) close to going for Keracoll Fugalite Bio2 (Anthracite) - what's now putting me off is the finish is stated as being 'silky smooth' so I'm thinking like sealant almost - reading around I'm guessing all Epoxys are like that. I'm not sure a silky smooth finish would look right.

So I'm now thinking back to Tilemaster Grout 3000 in Charcoal. I've got a few bags of the Dark Grey for the wall and the bag says its suitable for wetrooms and even swimming pools - so my shower floor should be fine. Plus charcoal - so no worries about the grout staining over time.

Cheers
The 3000 is a good grout. Once dried you can seal it for better maintenance

Liam D

-
Reaction score
Choose a grey grout ,you want the tiles to stand out,

Which grey would you go for? A light grey?

Also the hex mosaic tiles are matt black (porcelain) and the surface feels textured. Would you apply a sealant to the tiles before grouting?

Reply to Stuck - what grout? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks