Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Strange shadow marks appearing all over the tiles in my house. How do I clean them? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi,

I had my house tiled almost two years ago. The tiles themselves were not the best quality, just an affordable option, but my tiler did a good job. Now almost two years later some strange shadow looking stains have started appearing all over the tiles all over the house. It started with one stain so I though that one tile might be dodgy but now they’re appearing all over the house. I’ve attached some pictures right after mopping the floors. The stains themselves don’t have any texture. I’d really appreciate any help and advice on how to get rid of them.
45F980D9-ACE1-47ED-AA8A-FEC505B47C9D.jpeg

66CE80F6-C688-4E72-9FD8-AFD66F9E9BB1.jpeg
8E8C115D-8346-47DD-AB7B-5394C6C123D7.jpeg

Kevbos

Arms
Reaction score
Hi,

I had my house tiled almost two years ago. The tiles themselves were not the best quality, just an affordable option, but my tiler did a good job. Now almost two years later some strange shadow looking stains have started appearing all over the tiles all over the house. It started with one stain so I though that one tile might be dodgy but now they’re appearing all over the house. I’ve attached some pictures right after mopping the floors. The stains themselves don’t have any texture. I’d really appreciate any help and advice on how to get rid of them. View attachment 124402
View attachment 124401 View attachment 124403 ??
Do the stains appear clearer after getting wet ?? As I can only think that you have a porcelain tile that needs sealing !! ??

OP
S
Reaction score
Do the stains appear clearer after getting wet ?? As I can only think that you have a porcelain tile that needs sealing !! ??
To be honest, no. They appear the same before and after getting wet. I did some googling and I think the tiles I have are sealed. The stains do seem to be getting darker and more noticeable over time.

Kevbos

Arms
Reaction score

To be honest, no. They appear the same before and after getting wet. I did some googling and I think the tiles I have are sealed. The stains do seem to be getting darker and more noticeable over time.
Yes probably need resealing and again over time

P

Perfect Tiling

It could be from the tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ used. The stains seem dark so maybe a grey https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ was used rather than a white one which would have been my preference for cheaper light tiles. If they are staining from the reverse then cleaning and resealing wont really do much at all

bsc ceramics

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I doubt its the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ bleeding through after 2 years
i think they have lost there polished look. You could try a steam mop

E

Ecila fields

Did you ever find a genuine answer? Mine are doing the same thing on a faux marble ceramic shower wall.. a shadowy gray bleed from behind. They look exactly like yours . My husband thinks we may have water behind tile which is a big bad job. So I’m hoping he’s wrong.

Reaction score
Those tiles are a nightmare even though they are polished they stain badly the surface is slightly porous. Ive tiled with them quite a bit the only way I can think of trying is to use either bar keepers friend which is a stain remover and giving it a good scrub by hand or going to a tile shop and buying a tile acid cleaner.

Reply to Strange shadow marks appearing all over the tiles in my house. How do I clean them? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock