Discuss Sticking on a Cracked Tile, any water protection? in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

SamB

Hi,

Unfortunately we have to stick on a cracked porcelain tile to the wall around the bath area underneath the over bath shower.

When the 2 broken pieces are put together there is no gap but Im afraid over time
some water may get behind it into the wall.

Is there anything we can put behind the crack before we stick it onto the wall?

O

Old Mod

If there's a way through, water will find it!
Wouldn't advocate sticking a cracked tile on, ever!
But if you're going to do it anyway, I would imagine liquid tanking may work. U'd have to stick two pieces together first (superglue, mitre mate, something like that with no thickness to it), apply 2 coat of tanking, let it dry then stick it!
But others may have better solution.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi maybe a smidgen of silicone then spread out a bit. Or tanking as said above.

Hope you've tanked the walls behind the tiles though if you have a shower there because evidently in our recent tests we showed grout isn't in fact waterproof. ;)

T

Tile Shop

Suggestion.... tell me if this is good or bad.

Tanking membane on the wall, tape the sides of the adjacent tiles (half way up so it cant be seen when grouted but enough to cover other adhesive). When dry, some mapei kerapoxy (totally waterproof and slightly flexible) of a similar colour to the tile and use that to join the crack making sure theres no gaps. Also use the kerapoxy as the adhesive (solid bed) and back-butter both parts. Rubber gloves are a MUST!

Depending on the tile size leave for up to 7 days (too cautious maybe but best to be safe) before grouting with whatever was used previously.

If i'm right, i'm both amazed and proud :)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Could work I guess.

What was the glue used for the vases in the vase competition?

O

Old Mod

Could work I guess.

What was the glue used for the vases in the vase competition?
Tanax
Trouble is anything like that or even a resin has body to it and u won't get invisible join in tile.
I've tried! Haha (I didn't say that!)
Superglue is the only thing I've found which is liquid enough.
But NEVER tried it in wet area, and thinking about it I think water breaks down superglue!

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Super glue would stick the tile together but wouldn't make it impenetrable to water and infact I think moisture does break it down.
It wouldn't really matter what you did to protect the substrate if the crack will reappear.

Can you not source anymore tiles?
If not I'd probably be more inclined to remove a while piece from elsewhere in the bathroom and use that putting the cracked tile someone less inclined to be an issue

S

SamB

Thank you for the replies and the great ideas.

Yes AliGage, we cannot source any more tiles.

I was hoping there maybe some kind of waterproof
tape we could use behind the crack?

I cannot see any tanking behind the tiles.

W

WetSaw

Where is it in relation to the centre? Could you use a contrasting tile/mosaic etc as a "feature", maybe remove 1 or 2 more to make it work?

Reply to Sticking on a Cracked Tile, any water protection? in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks