Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Starting up again in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I used to do tile many years ago but found it hard to get a regular income out if it so I went on the taxis for 8 years. Because of this covid19 I am now looking for a different path and wanting to know how I could start getting work in tile? I'm 40 years old so need something regular to pay the bills, I'm in Liverpool.

D

Dumbo

Were not going into peoples houses , and site workers are all over each other , so if its just covid i wouldnt bother ,

OP
G
Reaction score
Were not going into peoples houses , and site workers are all over each other , so if its just covid i wouldnt bother ,

Thanks for replying, I have plenty of pictures of my previous work which was to a very good standard, it's because of covid I have had time out to reavaluate things and would now rather get back into it.
I would much prefer doing domestic work than site work when things get going again, but I just don't want to struggle getting work again. I'm not sure if it's better for work now? Or how to go about starting up properly.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say now is the time for career change tbh.

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
Its really hard right now mate. I only started 9 months ago, but was doing well and was booked up 12 weeks in advance. I have done one small job (3 days) since lockdown and most customers who were booked in, wont be in a position to have the work done for a while. It's all private work and I'm not interested in working on building sites etc, so it's going to be a slow road back. Enquiries have picked up over the past week, but unless I can be sure people will keep their distance or head out for the day, how can I work in their houses without putting myself at risk at the moment? It isn't the right thing to be trying to get into right now I wouldn't suggest and think it will remain slow for the next 6 months at least.

OP
G
Reaction score
Its really hard right now mate. I only started 9 months ago, but was doing well and was booked up 12 weeks in advance. I have done one small job (3 days) since lockdown and most customers who were booked in, wont be in a position to have the work done for a while. It's all private work and I'm not interested in working on building sites etc, so it's going to be a slow road back. Enquiries have picked up over the past week, but unless I can be sure people will keep their distance or head out for the day, how can I work in their houses without putting myself at risk at the moment? It isn't the right thing to be trying to get into right now I wouldn't suggest and think it will remain slow for the next 6 months at least.

Hi mate, can I ask how you started getting your work, were did advertise, did you call builders etc, I'm like yourself, it would only be private work instead of building sites etc.
I have a goodie my business account, Instagram and Twitter were I advertise and show pictures of my previous work, e mailed estate agents. I still have all my tools but no van, I have a car but feels a little embarrassing turning up in a car.
If anyone would like to have a look at my work it's DG tile Services, or Home | DG Tiling Services - https://davidgillibrand10.wixsite.com/website or dgtilingservices on Instagram.

Cheers
Dave

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
Hi mate, can I ask how you started getting your work, were did advertise, did you call builders etc, I'm like yourself, it would only be private work instead of building sites etc.
I have a goodie my business account, Instagram and Twitter were I advertise and show pictures of my previous work, e mailed estate agents. I still have all my tools but no van, I have a car but feels a little embarrassing turning up in a car.
If anyone would like to have a look at my work it's DG tile Services, or Home | DG Tiling Services - https://davidgillibrand10.wixsite.com/website or dgtilingservices on Instagram.

Cheers
Dave
Hello mate, mainly by joining all of the local Facebook groups. Within a 10 mile radius of my home, there must be 20 groups I joined. Always people posting looking for a tiler, so if I see or anyone tags me in those, I send the person a private message introducing myself and offering to have a look at what they need help with. Facebook is definitely my best tool. I did join Yell.com and that has done well for me. Didn't bother with check a trade etc as that all looks like a complete rip off.

Now I've been going for a little while, I'm getting a lot of referrals too which is good. Had a couple of jobs from friends or family members of other peoples houses I've worked on, which is great as it means whoever you did the job for in the first place was happy!

I've also had a couple of referrals from Topps Tiles who I generally get my https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ etc through. It's well worth visiting all of the tile shops as they'll all put your cards out and if you get friendly with them, they will try their best for you.

I don't have a van yet either. Don't let that bother you. I worried it didn't look professional at first and am intending to get a truck soon, but only so I can fit everything in when I need to and not because turning up in my motor has ever made anybody question anything.

OP
G
Reaction score
Hello mate, mainly by joining all of the local Facebook groups. Within a 10 mile radius of my home, there must be 20 groups I joined. Always people posting looking for a tiler, so if I see or anyone tags me in those, I send the person a private message introducing myself and offering to have a look at what they need help with. Facebook is definitely my best tool. I did join Yell.com and that has done well for me. Didn't bother with check a trade etc as that all looks like a complete rip off.

Now I've been going for a little while, I'm getting a lot of referrals too which is good. Had a couple of jobs from friends or family members of other peoples houses I've worked on, which is great as it means whoever you did the job for in the first place was happy!

I've also had a couple of referrals from Topps Tiles who I generally get my https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ etc through. It's well worth visiting all of the tile shops as they'll all put your cards out and if you get friendly with them, they will try their best for you.

I don't have a van yet either. Don't let that bother you. I worried it didn't look professional at first and am intending to get a truck soon, but only so I can fit everything in when I need to and not because turning up in my motor has ever made anybody question anything.
Thanks for replying mate, it's good to get some advice, I'll be setting a Facebook account up and drop some cards into local tile shops etc.
Cheers

Reply to Starting up again in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
chris14498
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock