Discuss Starting out in tiling - What's your view on this? (constructive please) in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Have you tried finding a good tiler locally that might take you under his wing, Its the best way if you can.
To be honest no I havnt yet but I think its what I might end up doing. Even if I just do a few days here and there for free, to get an idea of how the trade actually works. I wonder if there's anyone on here that lives near by..

Reaction score
No colleges local to you where they do tiling course ,if you can get the basics from somewhere like thana local company may find you more attractive to employ with that under you brlt

Reaction score
No colleges local to you where they do tiling course ,if you can get the basics from somewhere like thana local company may find you more attractive to employ with that under you brlt
No the local college doesn't do tiling courses, there is a local trade training place that does plastering, tiling, bricklaying course etc but it's 500 quid for a 5 day course. My thoughts are by the time I've paid for that I might as well go and do the 13 day course at UK Pro tiling. Otherwise if I do the local course first, and then go and do pro tiling course, il basically be paying to do the same thing all over again with a bit more on top if that makes sense.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. As I say this is all new to me and I'm hoping to a UK Pro tiling course soon. Apparently they tell you how to price jobs too so hopefully all this sort of stuff would be included. It's a bit daunting spending all the money the course is going to cost by time I've paid for travel and accommodation etc. I'm 350 mile away! Come from a mechanics background so this is completely not what I'm used to! Very keen to do it though!
I did the course with UK Pro Tiling and it's an excellent place to start for a career change. however the actual delivery of installations post training, in a time frame acceptable to you and the customer will be a steep learning curve. give yourself at least 6months to start making a wage is my advice.

Reaction score
I did the course with UK Pro Tiling and it's an excellent place to start for a career change. however the actual delivery of installations post training, in a time frame acceptable to you and the customer will be a steep learning curve. give yourself at least 6months to start making a wage is my advice.
Thanks Simon, did you do the 13 day course?

Reaction score
Thanks Simon, did you do the 13 day course?
yes 13 day course mate and it's a great course very intensive and gives you lots of confidence to start your business and Darren is a great instructor /mentor I wouldn't hesitate to do the course mate. like I said though it's a tough market at the moment and if you can't deliver a good sales pitch then you will struggle to win jobs mate.

Reaction score
yes 13 day course mate and it's a great course very intensive and gives you lots of confidence to start your business and Darren is a great instructor /mentor I wouldn't hesitate to do the course mate. like I said though it's a tough market at the moment and if you can't deliver a good sales pitch then you will struggle to win jobs mate.
Yeah it's all little bits like that that are a bit daunting to me. As I'm so far away, by time I've paid for course, travel, accommodation, food etc etc it will be about 2.5k and to me that's a lot of money to spend for it not to work out. I know its probably not a lot of money to some people but it is to me. Doesn't help with the fact I live in a small sea side town either.

Reaction score
Yeah it's all little bits like that that are a bit daunting to me. As I'm so far away, by time I've paid for course, travel, accommodation, food etc etc it will be about 2.5k and to me that's a lot of money to spend for it not to work out. I know its probably not a lot of money to some people but it is to me. Doesn't help with the fact I live in a small sea side town either.
yeah I do some serious research on the demand in your area possibly a 25 mile radius mate. ref the course and costs. its going to be more expense on tools as well. see what the demand is like and if you decide to give it a go send me a pm and we can have a chat about the costs as I live local to Hartlepool so can help you out with accommodation.

Si

Reaction score
Sorry a sale pitch have nothing to do with it all customers what is for you to be is truthful & candid with them explain how the job will be done & charge them a fare rate for the work they require you to do for them

Reaction score
Sorry a sale pitch have nothing to do with it all customers what is for you to be is truthful & candid with them explain how the job will be done & charge them a fare rate for the work they require you to do for them
it's a fact mate if you don't like the person selling stuff it doesn't matter what they are saying to a point. I have won lots of work and very rarely am I the cheapest. your right though be honest explanation of job ect... I think that's a sales pitch

Reaction score
yeah I do some serious research on the demand in your area possibly a 25 mile radius mate. ref the course and costs. its going to be more expense on tools as well. see what the demand is like and if you decide to give it a go send me a pm and we can have a chat about the costs as I live local to Hartlepool so can help you out with accommodation.

Si
Makes sense although I'm not to sure how to go about it if I'm honest. Will keep you in mind about that accommodation if I do decide to go ahead. I looked at B&Bs and the cheapest I found was 22 per night. 13 days course and weekends as no point in coming home is 17 days in total. Come to about 390 I think it was. Then allow about 200 for food, which is only about 11 a day. Travel etc it soon ads up. Plus as you say, tools too, I notice they do a start up kit for about 700 but not sure if that's got exactly everything I'd need.

Reaction score
Makes sense although I'm not to sure how to go about it if I'm honest. Will keep you in mind about that accommodation if I do decide to go ahead. I looked at B&Bs and the cheapest I found was 22 per night. 13 days course and weekends as no point in coming home is 17 days in total. Come to about 390 I think it was. Then allow about 200 for food, which is only about 11 a day. Travel etc it soon ads up. Plus as you say, tools too, I notice they do a start up kit for about 700 but not sure if that's got exactly everything I'd need.
yeah I have spent a lot on tools already and a van... it's all adding up. where do you live?

Reaction score
Correct but it's a two way street that answer because I won't work for anyone I don't like anyway because 9 times out 10 they turn out to be complete arseholes when it comes to paying up

Reply to Starting out in tiling - What's your view on this? (constructive please) in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks