Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Starting out as a Tiler. in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

M83T

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi apologies if this has been asked before but here goes
I have recently finished a short introduction to tile course which I really enjoyed. I took the course to see if I tile was for me and with a view to eventually starting out on my own. The course covered the basics of floor and wall tile over two weekends
I know that this is a career path I would like to follow but I'm unsure as to which direction to go now. I'm going to re tile my kitchen splash back at home for practice so I'm going to start buying some tools after this should I look into another course (which is quite a few £££) or just try and pick up a few small jobs to build up experience
I can't afford to jack in my current job so would be looking to do this evening's/weekends for a while to see how it goes
Any advice????

W

WetSaw

Practice on your friends and family to gain experience before charging. Don't try and run before you can walk. Preparation is key to a good finish.

D

Dumbo

Some manufacturer's of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and matting products hold some free courses or for very little expenditure . Log on to various websites and have a look . If you're are not sure comeback and ask as some members have done some of these courses .

-=HaZ=-

TF
Reaction score
When I started up 5 years ago I'd only done a few weeks on a short course but had done small jobs before this. I am still learning now and every day I tile but I'm really busy these days so it can work out for you.
I found picking up small jobs like kitchens and small floor jobs or round baths was great to learn and then add more to that.
The internet is great for advise and videos or things. Also get manufacturer product details to learn what to use and when
As someone said just try and find local guys you could follow for a weekend even if you don't do anything. They might get you to do the basics like mixing and prepping

OP
M

M83T

TF
Reaction score
Thankyou so much for all the replies they really are helpful I am glad I have found this forum and can ask for advice and get good honest replies I think this will be useful in the future.
I will definitely look at some of the manufacturer courses, I'm happy to pay for courses but I get the feeling that experience is the key to progression so don't want to spend huge sums just yet. Once again thanks for your help any other advice about starting up would be gratefully received!

T

Time's Ran Out

He thinks Devon is a town in Gloucester you know like Newcastle is a suburb of Sunderland

It’s down south!
At least up here the ladies tattoos are always spelt correct.
@jcrtiling the hurtful comment isn’t my lack of geographical knowledge , it’s using Newcastle in the same sentence as that other place!!

Reply to Starting out as a Tiler. in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock