Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Stains on tiles since they were laid a year ago!! in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
C

Charlotte Braham

Please checkout the following advertisement.
I would of done it as per the instructions but that wasn’t scrubbing every minute no :(

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Did this make any difference, if not you may need to test an acidic based cement residue remover specific to porcelain tiles as impish.

OP
C

Charlotte Braham

I can’t remember really I think both the above cleaners made some difference but not massive the stains were still visible

OP
C

Charlotte Braham

Fab I will order the power clean now and let you know how I get on.. thanks for all your advice

Simon Dale

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi Charlotte. On the box of tiles it says to seal them. Looked at a job a few weeks ago with same problem. I tried to clean them but couldn't remove !!

OP
C

Charlotte Braham

Hi Charlotte. On the box of tiles it says to seal them. Looked at a job a few weeks ago with same problem. I tried to clean them but couldn't remove !!
Hi they were sealed but I think this was done once it was laid :(

McLovin

TF
Reaction score
Just my two cents but any tile from Wickes that needs sealing should be avoided. I have had problems with Wickes tiles in the past. Its not worth the stress that comes with the job.

OP
M

mpf

Just my two cents but any tile from Wickes that needs sealing should be avoided. I have had problems with Wickes tiles in the past. Its not worth the stress that comes with the job.

Do you mind if I ask why? I haven't used them personally, just interested in the issues you have had? Sealers not working on them?

OP
T

Tile Shop

Seen this before..... These tiles look similar to the Pamesa Crystalline. If they are the same type of tile, they are glazed porcelain which majority of the time wouldn't need sealing. However to get a higher gloss, the glaze used contains micro crystals and the tile goes through an additional polishing process. The polishing opens up the crystals and leaves them prone to staining (tell tale sign, but take a very close look, with a magnifying glass if you need one, and the staining should look almost speckly in appearance).

They need to be sealed before grouting (wickes should have pointed this out to you either verbally or by instructions). Following a few tests, the best method I have found was with the (sorry @Lithofin BOB ) LTP MPG sealer. Apply with one microfibre cloth and immediately give it a firm buff in with a second. Do this twice leaving and hour or two drying time in between and they should be fine. Once you have got the tiles clean, you would also need to do this to protect them from now on. But Bob is godlike when it comes to this stuff so if he offers any further advise on products or methods, take his over mine :)

However regardless of how well sealed they are, without regular maintenance with the correct cleaner (preferably pH neutral) and immediate cleanup of marks and spillages, these among other tiles can still stain. Not saying you have done, but if a floor is treated like a piece of s***, it will look like a piece of s*** (my boss taught me that saying). Standard supermarket off the shelf cleaners, many contain citric acid which will eat the sealer in minutes. Whichever sealer you use, go for the manufacturers recommended everyday cleaner to keep it in good working order.

I would try all the previous posters cleaning methods, but unfortunately, if it is the type of tile I'm thinking of, chances are they are beyond help. Although I would be extremely delighted for you if you can prove me wrong. Best of luck.

Reply to Stains on tiles since they were laid a year ago!! in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock