Discuss springy timber floor prep in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

mike s

Ive been to see a large living room kitchen area ( knocked through) but the floor is quite springy. Its 15mm floorboards but there are quite a few sections of scrappy board ( 1 mtr lenghts)
Im worried 6mm overboarding will not take out the bounce.
another tiler had suggested using Ditra matting but i'm not sure that would do it either.
any advice would be fantastic.

H

hmtiling

Ive been to see a large living room kitchen area ( knocked through) but the floor is quite springy. Its 15mm floorboards but there are quite a few sections of scrappy board ( 1 mtr lenghts)
Im worried 6mm overboarding will not take out the bounce.
another tiler had suggested using Ditra matting but i'm not sure that would do it either.
any advice would be fantastic.
Lift the floor and add noggins if needed. 6mm cement will then be fine if bounce is taken out. Ditra does nothing for deflection (bounce)

F

Flintstone

Yes ditra is just for lateral movement, expansion and contraction, that sort of thing. If it's bouncing, cement board isn't the fix all. As Harry said, you need to stop the movement, then you can over board.

W

Waluigi

Gotta be suspended if it’s floorboards?

Might be worthwhile lifting some boards and having a look at the joists. Pay attention to the size of the joists, the span and the amount of notches/holes in relation to the recommended guidelines. For example you can’t notch a joist more that 1/5th it’s height and notches are only permitted in certain zones.

That is if it is indeed a suspended timber floor, if not then ignore everything I’ve said :tearsofjoy:

S

Spare Tool

15mm floor boards doesn't ring right, they're normaly 22mm. Any floor can be made solid enough to tile..

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Just to reiterate all of the above. Get the deflection sorted first before doing anything else.

I would also look at all the 'scrappy' bits as you call them. They will have either been hacked out by a plumber or electrician at a guess so make sure they are supported underneath and screwed back down.

Reply to springy timber floor prep in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks