Discuss Specifying substrate for marble floor tile in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I am putting together a some idealised cross-section sketches to plan out bathroom floor build-up but I'm having difficult finding products online, specifically tile backing boards for floor applications.
I would really appreciate if some could advice on the following below before I throw my laptop out the window!

1. No More Ply: Is this a generic name for a range of similar type boards? I cannot for the life of me find a Product/Brand/Website for a specific product called No More Ply. I'm further confused by this as many thread I've read on this forum mention NMP vs ,say, Hardieboard so that suggests NMP is a specific product and not a generic category of board types:confused:
  2. Hardieboard for subfloor applications: Do Hardieboard currently offer a board for subfloor application? For their website is seems the only tile backing boards they offer are 6mm or 12mm wall tile backing board.
  3. Lastly with the above in mind, I will have wet UFH pipework ran between joists and will then overlay with a substrate to lay the tiles on. Can anyone suggest which substrate offer the great thermal conductivity? Due to insitu conditions have lay a 25mm substrate. My origial idea was to use WBP ply but I am a concerned the such a thickness of timber may affect the performance of the UFH and therefore looking at alternative substrates (i.e. NMP, Hardieboard,etc)
TIA
Mushy

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I am putting together a some idealised cross-section sketches to plan out bathroom floor build-up but I'm having difficult finding products online, specifically tile backing boards for floor applications.
I would really appreciate if some could advice on the following below before I throw my laptop out the window!

1. No More Ply: Is this a generic name for a range of similar type boards? I cannot for the life of me find a Product/Brand/Website for a specific product called No More Ply. I'm further confused by this as many thread I've read on this forum mention NMP vs ,say, Hardieboard so that suggests NMP is a specific product and not a generic category of board types:confused:
  2. Hardieboard for subfloor applications: Do Hardieboard currently offer a board for subfloor application? For their website is seems the only tile backing boards they offer are 6mm or 12mm wall tile backing board.
  3. Lastly with the above in mind, I will have wet UFH pipework ran between joists and will then overlay with a substrate to lay the tiles on. Can anyone suggest which substrate offer the great thermal conductivity? Due to insitu conditions have lay a 25mm substrate. My origial idea was to use WBP ply but I am a concerned the such a thickness of timber may affect the performance of the UFH and therefore looking at alternative substrates (i.e. NMP, Hardieboard,etc)
TIA
Mushy

Your right , don’t use ply , one its an insulator and two you now can’t tile direct to ply un new guidelines.
Hardibacker do a 22mm T&G flooring and that is good for ufh and can tile to it..

Another thread on said product Structural 22mm HardieFloor for Wetroom - https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/structural-22mm-hardiefloor-for-wetroom.77822/

Reaction score
Your right , don’t use ply , one its an insulator and two you now can’t tile direct to ply un new guidelines.
Hardibacker do a 22mm T&G flooring and that is good for ufh and can tile to it..

Another thread on said product Structural 22mm HardieFloor for Wetroom - https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/structural-22mm-hardiefloor-for-wetroom.77822/
Hi Dave, thanks for the reply.
Just WRT to my initial post Hardie dont seem to do 22mm floor panels anymore only 6mm or 12mm which are only suitable for overboarding an existing structural floor substrate.

Reply to Specifying substrate for marble floor tile in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks