Discuss Something wrong with this installation? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Leanne

-
Reaction score
New here and no knowledge of professional tiling! I had one installer do three new bathrooms. He came on several recommendations and did all trades including tiling (plumber/heating engineer by trade). Mostly happy with the installation, only exception being the floor tiles finish isn't as expected. Love the tiles (Colorker Concept Cream, 595x595) but the end product looks like the tiles have a dark rim round the edges when the actual tile edge is the same colour as the surface. I had thought maybe grout too low, so mentioned to installer who said he always does it like that and uses his finger to smooth it. He reluctantly said he will top up the grout as doesn't want to take it out as not "technically wrong". The installation was 6 months ago though, it's just taken this long to get him back to the house as he's always booked up months in
Screenshot_2023-01-08-09-22-01-12_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg
Screenshot_2023-01-08-09-20-47-46_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg
advance. Looking closer though the edges are uneven so not sure topping up grout will actually help. Grout is gunmetal grey a d after 6 months now looks discoloured/patchy. Any advice appreciated, even if it turns out I am just being overly picky! Thanks.

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
Let him top that grout up and see whether or not you are happy. Does look low from the pictures, hopefully the re-visit will sort it out. If you are worried about the colour fading etc, get a sealer for it and then it shouldnt discolour. Just make sure it's fully cured before you seal it.

Leanne

-
Reaction score
Let him top that grout up and see whether or not you are happy. Does look low from the pictures, hopefully the re-visit will sort it out. If you are worried about the colour fading etc, get a sealer for it and then it shouldnt discolour. Just make sure it's fully cured before you seal it.
Great - thanks for the advice.

Reaction score
Interesting observation. I'm guessing the tiles are porcelain looking at the edges. Sometimes Bal grout does sink a bit on honed porcelain tiles. Topping up may help. It maybe that the glazing does not extend around the edges and the grout has discoloured the top. Maybe the biscuit of the tile was dark to begin with, if so when the joint is struck you see it. Take a couple of samples of the tile and simulate the grout to see if the same problem occurs. Then you have a benchmark to discuss with the tiler.

Leanne

-
Reaction score
Thanks for advice. Yes, porcelain and glazing extends right down edge, biscuit isn't dark, it's pretty much same colour as surface which is why the dark edging was confusing me.

Leanne

-
Reaction score
Interesting observation. I'm guessing the tiles are porcelain looking at the edges. Sometimes Bal grout does sink a bit on honed porcelain tiles. Topping up may help. It maybe that the glazing does not extend around the edges and the grout has discoloured the top. Maybe the biscuit of the tile was dark to begin with, if so when the joint is struck you see it. Take a couple of samples of the tile and simulate the grout to see if the same problem occurs. Then you have a benchmark to discuss with the tiler.
Thanks for advice. Yes, porcelain and glazing extends right down edge, biscuit isn't dark, it's pretty much same colour as surface which is why the dark edging was confusing me. Have the same tile/colour on wall in different size and no issues on wall, only on floor (in 2 different rooms).

Reaction score
Thanks for advice. Yes, porcelain and glazing extends right down edge, biscuit isn't dark, it's pretty much same colour as surface which is why the dark edging was confusing me. Have the same tile/colour on wall in different size and no issues on wall, only on floor (in 2 different rooms).
Hmm. Can you scratch the colour off or has it gone into the tile? Sounds like some process that's been done on the floor. It's nearly impossible to grout cleanly level with the tile top. I guess it's a question of what the line is. Normal grouts are water based i.e. they use water as the carrier for the grout, Porcelain is a very hard surface so it's difficult to think its from the grout ..but.
Maybe use a little proprietary grout cleaner to see if it gets rid of the line. In extreme cases brick acid - used in the diluted form may also clean the dark lines-if they are discolouration. Try it on a small area using protective gloves etc. Porcelain tiles are pretty impervious to most solvents but try it on an out of the way area first.
Good luck.

Leanne

-
Reaction score
Hmm. Can you scratch the colour off or has it gone into the tile? Sounds like some process that's been done on the floor. It's nearly impossible to grout cleanly level with the tile top. I guess it's a question of what the line is. Normal grouts are water based i.e. they use water as the carrier for the grout, Porcelain is a very hard surface so it's difficult to think its from the grout ..but.
Maybe use a little proprietary grout cleaner to see if it gets rid of the line. In extreme cases brick acid - used in the diluted form may also clean the dark lines-if they are discolouration. Try it on a small area using protective gloves etc. Porcelain tiles are pretty impervious to most solvents but try it on an out of the way area first.
Good luck.
Thank you.

Reply to Something wrong with this installation? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks