Discuss Some Professional advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

tintin

Hi Guys
Some practical advice/tips please from you professionals to an older but reasonably competent amateur
I am just about to start a long overdue bathroom refurbishment which essentially means ripping everything out and starting from scratch but using existing services. The room is approx 11' x 9' with two external walls taking existing services. Main services are via the 11' wall,and currently there is a WC and full pedestal washbasin sited on this wall. The bath is sited on the adjoining 9' external wall, beneath a large window.There was also a bidet sited on the 11' external wall but this has been removed and will not be replaced.

The new suite consists of

• a close coupled WC with a pan that fits flush to the wall
  • Wall hung basin with semi pedestal
  • Bath & panel
Other work required

• STUD WALL
    • Build stud wall along the 11' external wall to conceal pipework for new WC and basin
  • TILES
    • Ceramic tiles to floor (existing sub-floor tongue & grooved, screwed , in good condition, level and sound)
    • Ceramic tiles to some walls/partial walls
  • DRY LINING
    • Some dry lining to make good existing defective plasterwork behind bath below window area on 9' wall and other 11' internal wall
  • DECORATION
    • Decoration to remaining walls & ceiling
  • MISC
    • Skirtings if necessary
My problem is I am not sure in what order I need to tackle things in order I don't miss things out/get ahead of myself; more importantly damage work I've already done!

Your previous advice and assistance with a mosaic tiled cooker splashback allowed me to produce a really professional finish, which to this day people still don't believe I did myself!
Any help whatsoever on this one will be very much appreciated
Many thanks in advance

tintin

D

diamondtiling

1, rip out
2, stud work, reinforce area for sink fittings, waste for sink
3, run plumbing
4, dry lining, bring pipes through, fit in-line valves/balafix
5, decor to ceiling/paint etc
6, fit bath securely, taps, waste etc
7, tiles to walls
8, floor tiles
9, fit sink/loo
10, silicone

job done.....:thumbsup:

J

jimbob

TinTin,

I'm only a DIYer myself, but this is what I'd do......

1) Rip everything out so you have an empty shell
2) You need to look at your floor if you intend to tile on it - if the current floor is secure and stable then I would just overboard with 12mm WBP ply screwed down at 300mm centres
3) Then I would build the stud wall (I am assuming there will be no shower in the bathroom so you will be using normal plasterboard). If this wall will be completely tiled, don't bother getting it skimmed, if only part tile, then I would get it skimmed, although the skim will lower the weight capacity of the wall to 20kg per metre square for your tiles.
4) Wait for your plaster to sufficiently dry if applicable and then prime walls with acrylic primer.
5) Then I would fit your bath.
6) Then I would tile your walls (ensuring the bath is filled with water as you do)
7) Then I would paint your other walls as required
8) Then I would tile your floors
9) Then I would install wc and pedestal basin.

Bish bash bosh. :thumbsup:

I shall be interested to hear how close I have got this to how the pros would do it........

F

faithhealer

Just a thought, a wall hung basin on a stud wall! Make sure you fit a support into the wall, (A piece of 25 ply, or decent sized batons) in the right place for your bolts .
Always build a frame for my bath, bath siliconed to frame and wall and around the edge before tiling. No need to fill bath whilst tiling just when fininsh siliconing. If you set the wall out first you can tile before the bath is fitted if you are worried about dropping a tile. Just don't aim for a full tile sitting on the bath!

N

nickj

You don't to have one but you can buy frames for wall hung units which does give a bit more peace of mind, you can pick these up fairly cheap but not all are universal so make sure it will work with your unit.

Reply to Some Professional advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks