Discuss Some advise needed, should I tank? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Dandandan

Hi,

Bit of a ruling novice, I started tiling last weekend and thought I was making good progress. However I had some time sat on a train this week and started reading threads on this forum. I’m now worried I’ve made a few mistakes. Could you help advise the best course of action...

I’m tiling around an L-shaped corner bath with relatively small ceramic tiles in a brick pattern. The walls are plasterboard and have been plastered over.
Q1: Unfortunately my wife started painting the room whilst I was away thinking that was the right thing to do, I’ve sanded the paint back a bit but is this enough? Will tiles stuck over paint come loose?
Q2: I haven’t tanked the area at all. Seemingly I should have done. Do I now need to remove the tiles and start again tanking it first? If so, do I need to remove all the tiles or could I just tank half way along the bath (at the shower end)?
Q3. When tanking, does that have to go down past the edge of the bath or just level with it/far enough for the silicone to be able to form a bond with it?
Q4: the shower tap assembly and riser kit that we’ve chosen both require screwing in to the wall. How do seal the tanking around the screw holes? Do I need to pre-drill everything before tiling?
Q5: the fixings supplied with the shower kit only look long enough to go through the tiles and the plaster board behind. Is this standard or do I need to source longer screws and try and get them in to the bricks as well? They would have to be very long as there’s 50mm of insulation between the plasterboard and brickwork also.
Q6: (last one for now I promise), the tiles that we have chosen are quite rustic, they look nice but some of them have the glaze totally covering the sides as well as the face of the tile. Reading on this forum, will that mean that the grout won’t bond properly (causing leaks), or will the undulating edge of the tile compensate?

D

Dumbo

My advice is given on the fact you have already done it .
Q1 they might do if they do redo it .
Q2 . It won't necessarily leak, this only a recent bs recomendation i have done loads of showers over the years that haven't been tanked and haven't failed , if it fails redo it .
Q4in this situation tank to the bath .
Q5 standard fixings are rubbish throw them away, and get longer fixings and fischer wall plugs or if you can use a toggle type fixing
Q6 decent quality flexible grout like mapei ucp will be fine , just be aware it will go hard in the joints quick as the ceramic will draw the moisture, .
So one will come on here and tell you to rip the lot out but what have you got to lose if you don't you might get lucky and not have to .

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
You need to rip it all out and start again! :tearsofjoy:

Reply to Some advise needed, should I tank? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks