Discuss solution to a wet room problem in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

merit

TF
Reaction score
hi all hope we are all enjoying the xmas break
went and looked at a problem wet room before xmas,main problem was it wasnt a wetroom as such as it wasnt tanked ?
i stripped back the tiles ,which were on ufh ,on waterproof eco chipboard, no overboarding ,and no tanking,shower tray with mosaics to floor drain, main floor butted up to shower tray, existing floor is level to shower tray,idealy i would remove botttom row of wall tiles ,lift shower tray or replace,marmox boards over chipboard then tape all joints ,upstand ect then re tile,
question is ,is there another way without removing tray,id thought of impey tanking over the lot ,but im straight on this eco chipboard which is waterproof,but i wouldnt be happy with its structual qualitys
any thoughts
thanks

R

Rich

If Im understanding correctly, no. Not with out tiling direct onto the chip board again (obviously dont do that). Unless the chipboard can be replaced? How thick it it?

If not then chipboard is going to have to be over boarded and anything you over board with is going to raise the height.

G

Gazebo

Yup agree with above, dont think there is any economical repair to be made.. Do it right... do it once..

M

Mike

if you do any remedial repairs you will become liable for any future problems, and as the walls aren't tanked there's a good chance of another failure. i would do a total rip out or leave well alone.

merit

TF
Reaction score
thanks for your input guys
as i guessed looks like the only way is to start from sratch, its just a pain when the developers have paid for a wet room and not got one, and i hate putting right bodges cheers

R

Rich

thanks for your input guys
as i guessed looks like the only way is to start from sratch, its just a pain when the developers have paid for a wet room and not got one, and i hate putting right bodges cheers

Just think of it this way, the idiots that did it in the first place are going to make your work look amazing! It impresses people when you put others work right and you never know what other work you might get out of it :thumbsup:

Reply to solution to a wet room problem in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks