Discuss Small water barrier in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

naomin

-
Reaction score
I'd like to build a small mosaic barrier that will sit on the edge of my bathtub, against the wall, to keep water from sloshing out at that end.
IMG-2897.JPG

Reaction score
I'd like to build a small mosaic barrier that will sit on the edge of my bathtub, against the wall, to keep water from sloshing out at that end.
View attachment 114066
Hey Naomin

Love the diagram, and the mission you are about to tackle. Water sloshing out at the end?? sounds like you are having a go at doing this yourself?
I could only guess you have a small gap at the end of the bath? In which case I think this will be a B&Q DIY job.
My advice would be to buy enough Mosaic sheets to go around the base of the bath. Measure around the base of the bath. The sheets will usually come in 300 x 300mm sheets. They can be trimmed without the need for special cutter. A standard bath is usually 1500mm long and 750mm wide. If the packs come in 5 sheets you should only need two packs.
When you buy the adhesive best to go for a ready mix tub of waterproof. same with the grout. You will also need to buy or borrow a sealant gun.
Start by dry marking the tile sheets on the wall, if all fits in then do the same at the ends of the bath. You will see where to cut the excess mosaics start in the corners and work out to the end of the bath, cutting as required use, the full height of the mosaic sheet up the wall.
When you are ready go for it. The adhesive usually comes with a small spreader if not buy one 5mm comb.
Use a 12" ruler to align the mosaic tiles and to get them in line with each other.
Once the adhesive is dry (overnight to be safe) then apply the grout pressing it into the joints. If yo can use the grout to seal the top edge of the tiles. You could use a trim but I think this would complicate the job for you and you would need some additional tools.
Use a semi dry sponge to wipe the excess grout off the tile, when the grout is semi dry wipe with a damp sponge. When fully dry polish with a cloth.
When they are all dry. seal around the gap between the tiles and the bath using a suitable sealant.
I hope this helps a little, It's quite difficult to advise on here. I would also advise having a look on Youtube they have some great videos to help.
Good luck and don't forget to post the results🙂
Joe

naomin

-
Reaction score
Hey Naomin

Love the diagram, and the mission you are about to tackle. Water sloshing out at the end?? sounds like you are having a go at doing this yourself?
I could only guess you have a small gap at the end of the bath? In which case I think this will be a B&Q DIY job.
My advice would be to buy enough Mosaic sheets to go around the base of the bath. Measure around the base of the bath. The sheets will usually come in 300 x 300mm sheets. They can be trimmed without the need for special cutter. A standard bath is usually 1500mm long and 750mm wide. If the packs come in 5 sheets you should only need two packs.
When you buy the adhesive best to go for a ready mix tub of waterproof. same with the grout. You will also need to buy or borrow a sealant gun.
Start by dry marking the tile sheets on the wall, if all fits in then do the same at the ends of the bath. You will see where to cut the excess mosaics start in the corners and work out to the end of the bath, cutting as required use, the full height of the mosaic sheet up the wall.
When you are ready go for it. The adhesive usually comes with a small spreader if not buy one 5mm comb.
Use a 12" ruler to align the mosaic tiles and to get them in line with each other.
Once the adhesive is dry (overnight to be safe) then apply the grout pressing it into the joints. If yo can use the grout to seal the top edge of the tiles. You could use a trim but I think this would complicate the job for you and you would need some additional tools.
Use a semi dry sponge to wipe the excess grout off the tile, when the grout is semi dry wipe with a damp sponge. When fully dry polish with a cloth.
When they are all dry. seal around the gap between the tiles and the bath using a suitable sealant.
I hope this helps a little, It's quite difficult to advise on here. I would also advise having a look on Youtube they have some great videos to help.
Good luck and don't forget to post the results🙂
Joe
Okay, I guess my description was not apt enough.
I don't have any gaps. The tub is well installed. The problem comes into play when the tub is full of water, and you're taking a lovely hot bath and lying prone. Then, when you want to come to a seated position by pushing with your legs, the water rides along with you as you rise, hits the top of the tub behind your back, and slops over the side. It's that simple. I'm sure a lot of tubs have this shortcoming.
The little barrier is to prevent the water not only from overflowing onto the floor, but the sluice it back down into the tub at its front end.

Reaction score
Okay, I guess my description was not apt enough.
I don't have any gaps. The tub is well installed. The problem comes into play when the tub is full of water, and you're taking a lovely hot bath and lying prone. Then, when you want to come to a seated position by pushing with your legs, the water rides along with you as you rise, hits the top of the tub behind your back, and slops over the side. It's that simple. I'm sure a lot of tubs have this shortcoming.
The little barrier is to prevent the water not only from overflowing onto the floor, but the sluice it back down into the tub at its front end.
🤣 Too much detail. Try and move a bit slower, this will reduce the slop and hopefully contain the water in the tub. Like I said good luck with your project. I also gather from your reply you are in America so B&Q will not be an option for you. But any good tile supplier will give you what you need.

Reply to Small water barrier in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks