Discuss SLC advice for newbe in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

Alan M

hi there.
iv got a bit of floor levelying to do. not really far off but not good enough for lino ect. . could you give me some advice on laying it please.
iv seen some jacks of all trades doing it and they pored it out and troweled it off. i take it theres more to it than that. iv used it a few times to level up a trench across a floor but nothing this big.

thans in advance
alan

I

Ian

All SLC's need a bit of troweling but the good ones don't need too much, 'level it one' by ultra is the one I use and it is very good at finding its own level with minimal work, Mapei renovation has had many good reviews on here. Spiked rollers are also a handy tool for pushing the SLC around a floor to get a flat/smooth finish.

M

Mike

as bri says mapei renovation screed is good. make sure you prime the floor first to prevent the concrete absorbing the moisture from the slc before it's levelled.

W

White Room

Level it 2 is a 2 part ultra one which I use on ufh...one of the guys mentioned using the notched side of the trowel which I found works with good results.

A

Alan M

this is only 5 foot square but i might have a floor 10foot x 8 foot to do next week.
iv also use the notched side of the tiling trowel . found out by accident but it does a good job.
what would you prime it with.
iv seen a pro (seamed to know what he was doing) siliconing (?? came in a tube ) bits of plastic to show level and siliconing foam around the wall to contain it. is this something i should be doing.

M

Mike

i use primer g, diluted 4 to 1. i use aluminium tape around the edges where i dont want the slc to run away

W

White Room

You can get 5mm depth beads from wickes, there for plastering for the diy but could be used for slc to get a level/flat floor.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Also checkout the following: sWe's Tiling Guides | Wall and Floor Tiling Guides for Professional and DIY Tilers | Tile News

Last edited:
R

Rich

I think that would be me with the notched trowel thing :thumbsup:

How much are you building up? I use different techniques for different floors. Always prime but which primer to use depends on which SLC you are going to use.

R

Rich

If it is the same amount that you need to bring up over the entire floor then I would use a notched trowel. Maybe a 6mm? I tend to try a few different trowels when I start the room as it depends on how well the slc is flowing.

Reply to SLC advice for newbe in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks