Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Skimming Hardiebacker in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all, just a real quickie.
I have boarded a stud wall over a proposed bath area and have used hardibacker around the bath up to a height of 1.2m from floor and plasterboard the rest of the way up to the ceiling.

The reason for this was the customer only wanted the bath area half tiled and the rest plaster skimmed (the area is not a shower area only used hardibacker at low level as a precaution). trouble is now the customer has changed their tile selection and the tiles will not go up as high as the joint between hardibacker and plasterboard,

My question is can the hardibacker be plaster skimmed.?

not all the way down to the bath but maybe a 100mm over the joint between plasterboard and hardi.

cheers
Gary

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Does it need to be primed first in order to skim it. Just thinking that if it is cement based the plaster is gyspum and the 2 won't like each other much unless there is a primer.

OP
G

Gazebo

Thanks for the feedback guys, will defo tape the joints but now not sure if it needs priming or pva for the plaster skim.

Anybody got any ideas.????

OP
A

Aston

yes mate, 100% acryllic prime it before skimming...:thumbsup:

it will make it easy for you to skim and control the suction..

OP
J

jay

you can prime but you dont need to if your not confident plasterer just damp surface with a sponge prior be careful of priming as it will reduce plaster grab hope this helps:8:

OP
G

Gazebo

Thanks Jay, I'm not doing the plastering but will ask my plasterer his thoughts.

I'm sure he wouldn't have encountered this before so thought i'd ask on here 1st.

Many Thanks

Gary

OP
C

clive matthews

hi guys pva has always been used for top coat plaster adhesion but sbr is used for special situations acrylic is left to set defore finish and a plaster might not like this .
cheers clive

OP
E

Exgpjo

Two coats of acrylic primer - backer board sucks like a *****. There’s a good key on the board so don’t worry about grit priming. If you don’t prime - the plaster will craze as it dries too quickly because of the suction.

Reply to Skimming Hardiebacker in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock