Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Silicone seal shower corners in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

P

Paul ja

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi

I've just completed a re-tile of the en-suite using Porecelanosa Cubica. the shower area is 3 wall, 2 white on black. I'm struggling to get a decent 'line' of silicone seal on the vertical black to white tile joint using white silicone (dow 785). The white to white doesn't look too bad at all but had to resort to the finger, the fugi tools dont like the tile contours.

I'm thinking of 'trying' to mask the black side with tape

Advice please

OP
D

Dumbo

Personally I apply silicone then spray with water with some washing up liquid then tool up . It works well for me but you have to be tidy with the application

OP
P

Paul ja

hope this helps

100088300.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
F

Flintstone

I have used those tiles, but not mixed colours. I don’t think a fugi tool will help you much. A fine well applied bead then some light smoothing will be your best option. Other option is to clear the joint out and use clear silicone

OP
P

Paul ja

I agree the Fugi tool doesn't help. Clear silicone is an option is suppose. Can the silicone be done in two hits, i.e. verticals first and then 24 hrs later the tray ?

OP
Q

Qwerty

Yes you can do verticals and horizontal joints separately. I find that by slowly and neatly applying your coloured silicone into the joint, and then smoothing out with a soapy finger (washing up liquid solution) works best. Fugis have thier limitations and that type of tile is one of them!

OP
P

Paul ja

Yes you can do verticals and horizontal joints separately. I find that by slowly and neatly applying your coloured silicone into the joint, and then smoothing out with a soapy finger (washing up liquid solution) works best. Fugis have thier limitations and that type of tile is one of them!

That's the method I've tried and it wasn't good enough so I fetched it all out before it dried. I just haven't got the years of experience to do it right first time !!

Might think longer about doing the verticals in clear - thanks

OP
P

Paul ja

Having had a practice on tile off cuts I think I'm going to go with clear. No matter how I try with the white I can't get an edge on the black that I'm happy with ! The best edge I've achieved with white was using masking tape and then a final wet finger when the tape was removed. I think the only way white would work is if you could lay a run down and not touch it i.e. The nozzle does the work.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I've recently done a bathroom with same tile, although the Cubica was only jointed within the niches. Rest of bathroom was split with a darker tile. However, I don't use white on Cubica I use a 'Snow White' by Ottoseal which matches the shading perfectly. I used masking tape and found it was fine.

IMG_3266.jpg
IMG_3267.jpg

OP
P

Paul ja

Very nice job there, I would say my white to white joints are very similar.

I will try masking the black making the final finger pass before removing the tape, this will leave a small lip but hopefully it will be a straight edge.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Very nice job there, I would say my white to white joints are very similar.

I will try masking the black making the final finger pass before removing the tape, this will leave a small lip but hopefully it will be a straight edge.
If you leave the masking tape in position until the silicone has gone off, you can with a straight edge and Stanley knife achieve a crisp straight edge.

OP
P

Paul ja

If you leave the masking tape in position until the silicone has gone off, you can with a straight edge and Stanley knife achieve a crisp straight edge.

I'll have a practice run at doing this on a couple of off cuts - thanks

Reply to Silicone seal shower corners in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock