Discuss Silicone Over Silicone?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

N

No Dough Daz

Hi Guys, :welcome:

This is my first post on here although I have used it quite a lot for advise a preparation over the last couple of months.

This should be an easy one for you all......
I am currently applying the silicone around the bath & tiles and I have just ran out of it and can't get out to get any more tonight, so the job is half done. I have also noticed that a couple of areas I have silicone'd today could do with a bit more on there. That's my main concern really, so can I silicone back over those areas to neaten them up tomorrow when the silicone I will be going over has dried???
Will it take ok???

Thanks for you help on this.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Hi Daz :welcome: to TF

As long as the areas are bone dry you should have no bother going over the bits and continuing along the silicone line.

S

simhopper

silicone does not stick to silicone

You will need to strip it off to ensure a 100% sealed job

S

simhopper

Sorry mate, I beg to differ, as long as it's dry / clean, I've never had a problem, what make's you think that it won't ?

Have done enough repair jobs where people have applied silicone to silicone and it peels off it chunks.

Have a look on Dow Cornings website,im sure there will be something in there product data

O

Olz

According to the website silicone will adhere to silicone, they do recommend the removal of old silicone but i think thats more for old silicone, as yours in only a few days old and your continuing where you left of you should be fine.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Have done enough repair jobs where people have applied silicone to silicone and it peels off it chunks.

Have a look on Dow Cornings website,im sure there will be something in there product data

Not being picky but if it's punters repairs that are peeling off then it has not been clean and free of grease or dry etc, and or just as old as the hills, I will look for a link to back up my thinkings :thumbsup:

N

No Dough Daz

Thanks for all your responses guys.

I did only apply the silicone yesterday so it is clean.
Most of you think it should be OK and as I'm half done I am going to give it a go and keep going. And if it doesn't take then at least I can remove it and start again, it's all good practice.

Thanks once again for taking the time to reply to my post. :thumbsup:

Reply to Silicone Over Silicone?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks