Discuss silicone for movement joints: acrylic or pure? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

SpunkyTheMonkey

sorry, i'm sure this has been asked many times but the search is broken.

silicone for movement joints (in bathrooms primarily).

is acrylic silicone ok or does it harden up too much? do you guys normally use pure silicone?

S

SpunkyTheMonkey

yeah, corners, tile to bath, floor tile to marble etc.

also, do you normally do where wall meets floor with silicone? wall meets ceiling?

S

SpunkyTheMonkey

thanks. if i have trouble where i am getting hold of pure silicone in the right colors (and i will), is acrylic silicone actually any better better than grout for movement joints or is it going to end up drying just as hard and inflexible?

J

jay

not sure whats available over there but thi is the one i usewww.tilersonline.com.au/maxisil-silicones
Maxisil A :8:

S

Scott

Depends on the modulus, high is stiffer and low is more lfexible. High should be ok for floor to wall joins and in corners etc. On baths i always use a low modulus

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The only acrylic "silicone" I have really come across is like decorators filler. This would not be at all suitable. Is there something else available that I don't know of.....

Reaction score
The only acrylic "silicone" I have really come across is like decorators filler. This would not be at all suitable. Is there something else available that I don't know of.....

Same for me, I have tried other bathroom sealers, but nothing is a patch on silicon, nothing else has as much flexibilty, silicon for me every time for me, never get any problems with it, and the finish is always good.

Reaction score
Low modulus silicone like Mapesil AC (available in 26 colours) is perfect and can even be used for fixing mirrors to the wall as it doesn't attack the silver backing:thumbsup:

Reply to silicone for movement joints: acrylic or pure? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks