Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Silicone at floor to wall junction in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi All

I have a walk in shower room in my bathroom that is tiled using slate mosaics on the floor and nuance shower boards on the walls. Originally I used the MS Polymer jointing compound a the floor to wall junction about 4 years ago when I built it. There is no appreciable movement in the floor as it is built with 4x2 joists at 250mm centres overlaid with 22mm ply and then with a insulated wet room tray. the issue I have is every 6 months or so I am noticing the sealant at this junction is splitting away from the floor. I have replaced it now about 4 times and cannot figure out why it is happening other than perhaps expansion and contraction due to temperature changes. Last time I replaced it was about October last year with a simple dark brown bathroom silicone sealant. It has split once again.

Any ideas on how I might be able to make it a more permanent seal. Perhaps some old fashioned frame sealant that never really sets properly??

OP
A

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Soap can highly shorten the lifespan of silicone. Are you cleaning the area alcohol cleaner before sealing to aid adhesion
No I haven't alcohol cleaned it. I'll try that this time round. Soap wise there will be lots if that with 4 of us showering almost daily...we dont have a bath

K

Kajiman tamang

Dear sir my experience is tiles meson 3 year and tiles joint floor wall i doing shilicon experience 9 year

Reply to Silicone at floor to wall junction in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock