Discuss Silicon in the summer! in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

dboden

TF
Reaction score
I thought that would get your attention chaps!!

Loads of questions about siliconing..

Who does it, who doesn't?
Who won't? (its not the tilers job??)
Who can't?
Who charges extra?
Are we expected too?
Who avoids it, coz they hate doing it..
Who thinks we don't need to?
How long did it take for you to crack it?
Silicone horror stories??

Tips on doing it!!

I,m kinda avoiding it at the moment, but really need to get good at it..:mad2:
I love to see a tiling job with good siliconed joints.

Cheers :thumbsup:

merit

TF
Reaction score
i know someone who fixed his patio down with silicon from the pound shop
said it was cheaper than sand cement ,probly wont last as long

J

J Sid

Get yourself one of these
Broken Link Removed
And you will love doing it and be happy to charge to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Stef

Or try this.
http://m.NoLinksToThis/p/vitrex-sealant-remover-profile-kit/82791?filtered=true

Good silicone gun, good silicone, profile tool, spray bottle with watered down fairy liquid, blue roll & wonder wipes.
Perfect finish..

J

J Sid

Stef you should try my one, no spray bottle, no water and no blue roll needed and you can still do a whole room in 20 mins with a perfect finish.

S

Stef

Stef you should try my one, no spray bottle, no water and no blue roll needed and you can still do a whole room in 20 mins with a perfect finish.

Already got them & another 3 or 4 different ones.
What do you do with the excess silicone that will be left on the tool?

J

J Sid

Already got them & another 3 or 4 different ones.
What do you do with the excess silicone that will be left on the tool?

getting better with the amount of waste now, but yes still have some and just have a tile off cut or bit of wood and wipe it on that.
Never tried your one , how does it compare?

S

Stef

Better than the Fugi kit imo.
I also feel you must spray the silicone or you end up with a very thin skin going over the side of the tile, I hate seeing this.

Q

Qwerty

Fugi (& similar tools) are really the best option. I still use tissue (c folded paper towels) to get rid of the excess and still use fairy liquid watered down in a spray bottle over the finished line and then wipe over once more to give a neat even finish especially around the grout joints.

P

prceramics

always do it as part of the job its taken a while but getting quite good at it now, i used to dread it, get some tesco value baby wipes they are about 40p a packet abd they are perfect for the job :)

O

On one

I try not to let anyone else do it,unless the grout is still too wet at the end of the day,then I will let the plumber do it if I know which plumber is doing the 2nd fix.
The trick is the right silicone,the right size nozzle,the right angle and dont attempt to tool it up in one go with you finger.A few sweeps to the left and right or up and down do's it me!

Reply to Silicon in the summer! in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks