Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Shower/ Wetroom waterproofing in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

H573

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all.
I’m after some advice on how to waterproof a shower?
I’ve recently moved from the UK to Zambia materials such as Wedi board, tanking systems etc are not available here. Any ideas/ advice on waterproofing will be much appreciated

Reaction score
You might be best go online and searching for Ardex or another manufacturers & see if they have suppliers in Zambia or on the continent

D

Dumbo

What background are you tile onto and it is above a solid floor or suspended floor, is it ground floor or first floor and above .
Do you have any local shops that supply tile materials and if so do you know whose materials they supply .

OP
H573

H573

TF
Reaction score
What background are you tile onto and it is above a solid floor or suspended floor, is it ground floor or first floor and above .
Do you have any local shops that supply tile materials and if so do you know whose materials they supply .
Thanks for the reply, substrate is concrete on the floor. The walls are block covered with what they call plaster here but it’s just sand and cement. Some local products are tilefix, tuffstuff but it’s just https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and grout they sell. Can get some SA products, TAL, Progrip but not waterproofing kits etc just bonding agents, https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and grout.
It’s a single story property so ground floor, they don’t have timber floors here just a concrete foundation and they tile straight onto it, no primer or anything even on walls!!!

OP
H573

H573

TF
Reaction score
Do you have any local shops that supply tile materials and if so do you know whose materials they supply .[/
Are the primer/bonding agents acrylic or SBR product
Some Acrylic, some latex based so not sure if this is classed as SBR,not sure if that’s the same thing. Instructions on latex one: add to https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and make a slurry apply to the wall and let it dry. I think it’s just for better adhesion though not sure.
Acrylic one just paint on wall let dry apply second coat opposite way for full coverage again I don’t know if this is just for improved adhesion, neither mention waterproof properties..... hope all this makes sense!!!

OP
H573

H573

TF
Reaction score
Can you get the one you prefer shipped in by Amazon
Yeah I’ve looked into that. It works out really really expensive. About £32 for 7kg’s And then maybe I’d have to clear it at customs etc depending on what I get, its a bit a headache. That’s another cost. Thanks though mate.
As you’ve probably guessed I’m a newbie. I retrained as a tiler, went to Leeds College Building for 13 weeks or so, we were just getting into substrates and different adhesives, primers tanking etc and I had to leave. Going back in the summer to do my dioploma hopefully.

OP
H573

H573

TF
Reaction score
Mmhttps://www.tilingsuppliesdirect.co.uk/product/everbuild-503-sbr-bond we used to use sbr and cement to tank damp areas over here , like cellars , and damp courses, maybe that is what they tank with in zambia, sbr mixed with addy ?
Mmhttps://www.tilingsuppliesdirect.co.uk/product/everbuild-503-sbr-bond we used to use sbr and cement to tank damp areas over here , like cellars , and damp courses, maybe that is what they tank with in zambia, sbr mixed with addy ?
Thanks Widler I’ll look into this. I think you could be right. Cheers mate.

Just another question Is SBR latex based or Acrylic or are they both the same thing? I’ve looked online but can’t find any definite answer

OP
H573

H573

TF
Reaction score
were you on the level 2 Cskills diploma or city & guilds level 2
I got my Level 1 extended Certificate City and Guilds and was about to start Level 1 diploma but then we moved here, the tutors were great though they knew I was leaving so they let me do some of the diploma stuff too before I went. I’m hoping to return for a short time and do the level 1 diploma starting September.

OP
H573

H573

TF
Reaction score
Thanks Widler I’ll look into this. I think you could be right. Cheers mate.

Just another question Is SBR latex based or Acrylic or are they both the same thing? I’ve looked online but can’t find any definite answer
I’ve just opened the link ta, so SBR is latex based great stuff thanks mate

Reaction score
You might be better off going straight on to the level 2 diploma I teach the level 1 it's just basic & you re-visit some of the level 1 on the level 2 anyway

Reply to Shower/ Wetroom waterproofing in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock