Discuss Shower Tray trim vs Silicone in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

kbc

-
Reaction score
I'm tiling an en-suite shower (it has one of those bog-standard heavy cast-concrete (?) and enamel bases if that makes a difference).
I am not an experienced tiler, so I'm doing my learning.
Looking on the YouTubes, nobody seems to be using that concave shower tray trim anymore, (that would go between the lowest tile and the shower tray) it's all 2-5mm gap and silicone.

The most concise thing I found was this:
"Is there a gap between the wall and the tray? i.e. greater than the width of the tile when fitted.
If not, tile straight down onto the tray. Silicon the gap first, tile it, then silicon between tile and tray. Much Neater"

Is the 'tray trim' a thing of the past or is it situational? What's your opinion and experience on this?

Reaction score
I think the tile to the tray and silicone is such nicer finish. Trims tend to get used to cover things up. Get yourself a silicone tool and use that, or employ a silicone guy to do all the silicone. I was just made aware they exist. I paid £40 for a bathroom to be siliconed and it was immaculate.

kbc

-
Reaction score
I think the tile to the tray and silicone is such nicer finish. Trims tend to get used to cover things up. Get yourself a silicone tool and use that, or employ a silicone guy to do all the silicone. I was just made aware they exist. I paid £40 for a bathroom to be siliconed and it was immaculate.

Thanks for the reply! I'm with you on that, those trims just seem to be dirt catchers and the tile-to-tray does look sweet. I'm just all spun around, getting it in both ears about what way I'm meant to do it. And not like anything can go wrong if I screw up the tiling in the shower...

Reply to Shower Tray trim vs Silicone in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks