Discuss Shower tray squeaking since tiling in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

bennyk

-
Reaction score
I have a recently installed Mira Flight Low tray that was absolutely solid for 2 months, no squeaking or creaking. Shower hasn’t been used yet as waiting for bespoke screen. Tiler came and tiled down to tray and tiled nib wall next to it. A few weeks go by and the other night I stepped on the tray and was surprised to hear that the tray has started creaking and squeaking very very loudly all along the outside edges where the floor tiles meet the base of the tray. There was a gap left between the floor tiles and tray when it was installed but looks like it was filled with grout which is touching the tray.
Am I right in thinking this could be potentially causing the squeaking noise? And what would be the solution to it - remove the grout and seal with silicon?

This is the third tray we’ve had, and I am 100 percent sure it was installed correctly, as this issue only started happening once tiler had done his work, i’m just so tired of the squeaking and really don’t want to take the tray out and rebed for no good reason! thanks for the help in advance!

Trigger

Arms
Reaction score
If the tray is squeaking when you walk on it, it would suggest that there is movement in the tray. Tiling down to and upto the tray wouldn't cause the tray to squeak, however if the tray was moving as a result of walking on it then yes it could rub on the floor tiles I suppose. You could rake out the grout joint which is touching the tray and replace with silicone to see if it resolves it. But to me it sounds like the tray or floor has movement in it.

Get someone else to walk on it while you are at floor level to see if you can see it flexing.

Andrew Owens

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I had the same problem.
I found a small piece of grout from the floor tiles touching the tray when I removed the silicone, cut it out re-siliconed and the squeak was gone.
The tray has a bit of flex in it but you would not know unless it was rubbing against something solid.

Kaffee

-
Reaction score
That grout will have to come out either way so my best bet would be remove the grout with a grout blade on a multitool or grinder and use a silicone joint. 95% chance that would fix it. If not remove silicone and fix the tray :p

Reply to Shower tray squeaking since tiling in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks