Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Shower tray movement - tiles will be ok??? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Have just noticed movement in the steel shower tray at the corner edge. I have tiled the adjoining floor tiles so now am unable to remove the tray from its position as it is butt up against the wall - see photo

options - tile onto the tray whilst in its lower position so it can’t rise when stood on? This would require https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ rather than silicon to prevent movement

remove ceiling from below the shower room (first floor) and secure the tray to remove any movement.
Neither option sounds great!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 523BF886-9E76-4AC9-8952-19791E01E790.jpeg
    523BF886-9E76-4AC9-8952-19791E01E790.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 31
Reaction score
Option 3: Remove the floor tiles butted up to the tray, remove tray, find out why it's moving, fix and refit.

Easier and less making good than taking down the ceiling below the tray!

Don't tile down to it as is and hope that a wall tile will stop the tray moving, it won't.

Balls ache to have to break out a couple of tiles you've just laid, but better that you discovered the problem now and not when the job was finished and the ceiling downstairs started getting wet...

OP
J
Reaction score
Option 3: Remove the floor tiles butted up to the tray, remove tray, find out why it's moving, fix and refit.

Easier and less making good than taking down the ceiling below the tray!

Don't tile down to it as is and hope that a wall tile will stop the tray moving, it won't.

Balls ache to have to break out a couple of tiles you've just laid, but better that you discovered the problem now and not when the job was finished and the ceiling downstairs started getting wet...
[automerge]1586087389[/automerge]
Thank you. Mmm perhaps the best option so far. I’ve been re thinking and the option underneath is out anyway as I lay the tray onto 12mm of cement board so access is out from below. I am wondering if I create some weight - similar to filling a bath with water prior to sealing - and I place a further skin of tile backing board - STS - onto the top of the tray thereby creating a further skin to the wall, floor to ceiling. I would then tile as normal . This will have the effect of securing the tray into position. The movement is 2-3 mm at present. Thoughts ?
I hate the thought of angle grinding out the three tiles against the tray

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
If taking the tray up isn’t an option then I would put some weight in the tray to loose the drop, then tile as normal making sure you leave a 2-3mm gap under the tiles to tray.
Leave the the weight in until everything has been grouted and siliconed and has dried sufficiently.
I can’t see it being a problem later if done that way.
[automerge]1586090611[/automerge]
What did you use to stick the tray to the floor, just realised it’s a steel tray.

OP
J
Reaction score
Brill. I took up another tile today as it was warped - on the edge of the new tiles it was a mare cleaning up the Ditra beneath which I didn’t want to rip up as well.

Reply to Shower tray movement - tiles will be ok??? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock